We Are Here To Help!
Call Us 800-727-7104
Monday-Friday 8am-8pm EST

Frequently Asked Questions

Get Licensed

General Licensing Questions

Who needs a Utah contractor license?

A person engaged in the construction trades licensed under this chapter, as a contractor regulated under this chapter, as an alarm business or company, or as an alarm company agent, shall become licensed under this chapter before engaging in that trade or contracting activity in this state unless specifically exempted from licensure under Section 58-1-307 or 58-55-305.

What is the difference between a General Building Contractors License (B100) and a Residential & Small Commercial Contractors License (R100)?

General Building Contractors License (B100) – B100 license holders are able to work on a building or structure of any kind. This includes remodeling, repairing, building, etc. However, licensees may not do any plumbing, electrical, or mechanical work. Strictly structural type of work.

Residential & Small Commercial Contractors License (R100) – R100 license holders may work on residential property & and on small commercial projects. “Residential” is considered anything that is a single or multi-family home and has 4 units or less. “Small Commercial” is considered anything 3 stories or less, and doesn’t have any more than 20,000 sq. ft.

Does Utah have reciprocity with other states?

No, Utah does not have reciprocity. Instead, Utah allows for licensure by endorsement. However, as of May 14, 2019, no trade exam are required for any Utah contractor licenses. The Utah Contractor Business & Law exam is still required for general contractors (B100, R100, E100, and plumbing and electrical contractors). Individual electrical and plumbing licenses also still require exams. As a result, applications for endorsement for contractor licenses are moot because trade exams are not required in Utah. Please apply with the standard application.

Does the Utah DOPL Make any special concessions for military personnel?

Yes, Utah has a set of Laws and Rules Concerning Military Personnel. Click here to view those special requirements.

Qualifications to Become Licensed

What are requirements prior to getting a Utah contractor license?

  • You must take the Utah Business and Law Examination. The Utah Business and Law Examination requirement will only be waived if the qualifying individual has passed the test previously.
  • You must meet the experience requirements
    • In the past 10 years, a minimum of two years of full-time related experience, one year of which shall be in a supervisory or managerial position for applicants of the following contractor classifications:
      • E100-General Engineering
      • B100-General Building
      • R100-Residential and Small Commercial
    • In the past 10 years, a minimum of two years of full-time related experience for applicants of the following contractor  classifications:
      • S220-Carpentry
      • S290-General Masonry
      • S320-Steel Erection
      • S350-Heating Ventilating and Air Conditioning
      • S360-Refrigeration
      • S370-Fire Suppression
    • In the past 10 years, a minimum of two years of full-time related experience for applicants of all other contractor classifications not listed above, excluding electrical and plumbing.
  • Liability Insurance Coverage – All contractors must carry continuous liability insurance. You must report your insurance provider, policy number, expiration date and aggregate coverage in excess of $300,000 on your renewal form.
  • Workers Compensation – Contractors must carry workers’ compensation insurance for all employees and certain owner-workers. You must report the name of your provider, the policy number and the expiration on your renewal form.
  • Owner-Worker Classification – Utah law now requires that certain contractors provide additional information when applying for a license. Entities other than corporations or publicly traded companies that have owners who (1) own less than eight percent of the licensed entity; and who (2) actively engage in the construction activities on behalf of the licensed contractor entity; must provide additional reporting to DOPL and must assure that such owner-workers are covered by workers’ compensation insurance and unemployment insurance.

For further licensing requirement information, please refer to the Utah website or R156-55a-302b. Qualification for Licensure – Experience Requirements.

Where do I go to take the required 25-hour Utah Contractor Pre-licensing course?

There are only a handful of providers approved to provide the 25-hour Utah Contractor program. Here is a link to those providers:


Licensing Process

What are the steps to getting a Utah contractor license?

  1. Complete an approved 30-hour pre-license course*. (Unless you took the pre-license course BEFORE October 1, 2019, and then you only need 25 hours).
  2. Pass the Utah Business & Law exam
  3. Obtain General Liability Insurance
  4. Register your business entity
  5. Obtain Federal EIN
  6. If you have employees:
    1. Obtain certificate of workers compensation insurance
    2. Obtain a state withholding tax registration (from Utah State Tax Comission)
    3. Obtain an unemployment registration (from Utah Department of Workforce Services)
  7. Complete and submit your application along with required fees

*Pre-license courses must be taken in person, and information on providers may be found on the UT DOPL License Application Page.

What are the fees associated with Utah contractor licensing?

  • $50.00 for each Qualifier
  • $175.00 for each Classification
  • $1.00 surcharge fee
  • If the entity is unincorporated:
    • An additional $20 for each owner owning less than 8%

Licensing Examinations

What exams are required to get a Utah contractor license?

For licenses B100, E100, R100, E200, E201, P200, P201 the required exam is the Utah Contractors Business and Law exam.

What is the fee for the Utah contractor Business & Law exam?


Is the NASCLA Accredited Commercial Contractor exam accepted by the state of Utah?

As of May 2019, Utah no longer requires trade exams, but will accept the NASCLA Accredited Examination for Commercial General Building Contractors to satisfy the 2 year experience requirements for general contractors.


What is the NASCLA Accredited Examination Program?

The NASCLA Accredited Examination Program is designed to help participating states by providing one trades licensing examination that is accepted by all participating jurisdictions.

The NASCLA Accredited Examination Program is NOT a nationally recognized license. Contractors will still have to meet additional state licensure requirements within each participating state to obtain their licenses.

Why take the NASCLA Accredited Exam?

The NASCLA Accredited exam benefits contractors who need licenses in multiple states. If your business will expand into any of the participating states, you will save time and money by passing the NASCLA exam.

By passing the NASCLA exam, you will avoid having to take multiple trades exams in other states. You will still need to pass a Business & Law exam in each of the States (except Arkansas).  Arkansas will accept the NASCLA Accredited exam as both the Trades and Business/Law.

What states is the NASCLA exam accepted in?

Do I have to be approved to take the NASCLA exam?

Yes. Effective November 1, 2016, applicants must get pre-approval from the National Association of State Contractors Licensing Agencies (NASCLA) to take the NASCLA exam.

Applicants can apply for approval online at ned.nascla.org. Once approved, the individual’s name will be forwarded from NASCLA to PSI. PSI will then send the applicant an email with information about how to schedule their exam.

What books can I bring to the NASCLA exam?

All of these books can be found in our book store. Click Here to take a look!

  • ICC A117.1 - 2017 Standard for Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities
  • BCSI: Guide to Good Practice for Handling, Installing, Restraining, and Bracing of Metal Plate Connected Wood Trusses, 2013 or 2018 Edition
  • Carpentry and Building Construction, 2016 Edition
  • Code of Federal Regulations -29 CFR Part 1926 (OSHA), with latest available amendments
  • Construction Jobsite Management, 4th Edition, 2017
  • Construction Project Management, 4th Edition, 2014
  • NASCLA Contractors' Guide to Business, Law and Project Management, Basic, 12th or 13th Edition
  • Erectors' Manual - Standards and Guidelines for the Erection of Pre-Cast Concrete Products, 2nd Edition, 1999
  • Green Building Fundamentals, 2nd Edition, 2011
  • Gypsum Construction Handbook, 7th Edition, 2014
  • Technical Digest No. 9 –Handling and Erection of Steel Joists and Joist Girders, 3rd Edition, 2008
  • International Building Code, 2015 or 2018 Edition
  • ACI 318-14 (2014): Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete and Commentary
  • Training and Certification of Field Personnel for Unbonded Post-Tensioning -Level 1 Field Fundamentals, 3rd Edition, 2003
  • Modern Masonry - Brick, Block, Stone, 8th Edition, 2015
  • Pipe and Excavation Contracting, 2011 Edition
  • Principles and Practices of Commercial Construction, 9th Edition, 2014
  • Roofing Construction and Estimating, 1995 Edition
  • Placing Reinforcing Bars, Recommended Practices, 2011
  • SDI (Steel Deck Institute) Manual of Construction with Steel Deck, 3rd Edition, 2016
  • The Contractor's Guide to Quality Concrete Construction, 4th Edition, 2018

For more information, view the PSI Candidate Bulletin

Can I write in my reference books and still bring them to the exam?

References may be highlighted, underlined, and/or indexed (tabbed with permanent stick tabs), however they may NOT otherwise be written in or marked in any way. Temporary tabs, such as Post-It notes, are not allowed and must be removed from the reference before the exam will begin.

What subject areas will be covered on the NASCLA Accredited Exam?

There are 115 questions and you must get 81 answers correct. You will have 330 minutes to complete the exam. The subjects covered in the exam are listed below, however, the questions are taken at random from a large pool of questions making sure that all contractors are taking a different exam.

Subject Areas and # of Questions:

  • General Requirements: 25 questions
  • Site Construction: 15 questions
  • Concrete: 6 questions
  • Masonry: 4 questions
  • Metals: 6 questions
  • Wood: 5 questions
  • Thermal and Moisture Protection: 5 questions
  • Doors, Windows, and Glazing: 4 questions
  • Finishes: 5 questions
  • Mechanical and Plumbing Systems: 6 questions
  • Electrical Systems: 3 questions
  • Procurement and Contracting Requirements: 31 questions

The exam is based on information found in the reference materials we have listed above as well as trade knowledge or general industry practices. Except for Code books, you may base your answers on later editions of references as they become available. For Code questions, the examinations will be based only on the edition of the Code book listed on the candidate bulletin.

Is the NASCLA exam an open book exam?

The NASCLA exam is an open book exam. All of the books listed on the candidate bulletin may be brought into and used during the exam. Books will not be provided to you at the exam center. If you are in need of books, we offer all of the references listed on the Candidate Bulletin for sale in our Bookstore, or in our complete NASCLA Prep Package.

What can I expect from the NASCLA Exam Prep course?

Our NASCLA Exam Prep course is designed to help you maximize your study time.

The remainder of the lessons are devoted to each book on the Candidate Bulletin. Each of these lessons help you get to know the layout of the books and key information that can be found within. Each book has a quiz dedicated solely to the material in that book.

Finally, you will find the practice test at the end of the course. This practice test consists of a pool of over 1,000 questions, to help you practice taking an exam as well as determine which areas you need to brush up on further.

How long does it take to complete your NASCLA Exam Prep course?

That question is almost entirely up to you!

There are 16 hours of videos, which walk you through each reference allowed in the exam. There are also over 1,000 practice questions, to help you gauge your knowledge and practice using your references in an exam-like setting.

We recommend going through the entire course at least once. After that it is up to you. Some may want to go through the whole course multiple times. You might also find yourself taking note of particular topics you would like to devote more time to, and just going back later to study those areas.

We recommend for you to spend as much time with the course as is necessary to really get to know your reference materials, and be comfortable finding answers with the texts--this will ensure your success on the exam!

Does the NASCLA exam work for residential construction?

The following states allow NASCLA accreditation for residential contractors: AR, FL, GA, LA, MS, NC, NV, OR, SC, TN, UT, Virgin Islands, WV.

Renew a License

When do Utah contractor licenses expire?

Licenses expire on November 30 of odd years (2021, 2023, etc).

Is Utah contractor continuing education required?

Yes, contractors must complete 6 hours of DOPL approved continuing education each license cycle. As of 2017, a minimum of 3 hours must be taken in a live seminar.

What are the requirements for renewing my license?

  • Complete 6 hours of required continuing education
  • Hold an active General Liability Insurance Certificate
  • Hold an active Workers Compensation Certificate (if you have employees)

What is the fee for renewing my Utah contractor license?


About the Courses

Once I order the course, how long before I can start?

You may begin immediately! Simply click the Login button in the upper right-hand corner on your desktop or in the upper-right menu on mobile. Once you’ve entered your login and password, you will be taken to your courses. Follow the instructions and enjoy!

Once I start an online course, will I be able to start and stop at anytime?

Our courses are available online 24/7 and you are able to log in and log out at any time during the course. If you are going to be away from your computer for more than 10-15 minutes, simply log out. When you log back in, you will be able to re-enter the lesson you were last in.

How long do your continuing education courses take to complete?

Continuing education requirements vary by state. Each course lists a minimum number of credit hours required to complete the course.

How long do your exam prep courses take to complete?

Each course lists the total amount of hours for the course. However, we cover materials quickly and many contractors like to re-watch materials. In other words, this question really depends on your learning style. We recommend that you go through the course as many times as you need to be comfortable with the material and any applicable reference books. The more familiar you are with the materials, the better you will do on your exam!

How long do I have the courses?

We allow up to 6 months for you to complete the courses. During the six months you have unlimited, 24/7 access. If you need additional time, please contact our offices to arrange an extension (please note: a fee may apply).

Are there tests in the courses?

This varies depending on whether the course is continuing education or exam prep.

There are no quizzes for continuing education courses in Michigan. All other states with continuing education require quizzes to check completion progress.

In exam prep courses there will be a short quiz at the end of each lesson and there is also a longer practice test at the end of each course. These quizzes and tests will help you practice taking an exam and identify areas you may wish to study more.

If I fail a practice test, do I have to take it again?

Practice tests are just that: for practice. You will have the opportunity to retake the practice tests until you do pass. The practice tests are there to help you get used to the process of using your reference materials and finding the correct answers during an exam. If you don’t pass on the first try, take the time to note what sections of the material you need to review.

Once I complete a course, can I still go back and review the lessons and quizzes?

You are able to review the lessons and quizzes at any time during the six months you’ll have access to the courses.

State & Testing Contact Info

State Board

Utah Department of Commerce
Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing
(801) 530-6628 or (866) 275-3675


National Association of State Contractors Licensing Agencies
23309 North 17th Drive, Building 1, Suite 110,
Phoenix, Arizona 85027
(623) 587-9354

ProV Exams

Contact ProV for information regarding the Utah contractors exam
5200 NW 43rd Street
Gainesville, FL 32606
(866) 720-7768