Alaska Contractor FAQs

Alaska state law requires all General contractors to be licensed.  Anyone who performs residential remodel work of less than 25% of the value of the structure must have a General Contractor without Residential Contractor Endorsement (which doesn’t require an exam). Go to and download application form #08-4027.  *see state regulations below

However, anyone who performs new home construction, and residential remodel work of more than 25% of the value of the home or structure being altered is required to have a General Contractor License with Residential Contractor Endorsement  *see state regulations below

State Regulation:
Sec. 08.18.025. Residential contractors.
(a) A general contractor may not undertake the construction or alteration, or submit a bid to undertake the construction or alteration of a privately-owned residential structure of one to four units or advertise or publicly represent that the general contractor may undertake work of this type in the state without a residential contractor endorsement issued under this section. In this subsection, “alteration” means changes that have a value greater than 25 percent of the value of the structure being altered.

Get a Residential Contractor Endorsement Application form 08-4161 from:

Department of Commerce, Community and Economic Development
Division of Occupational Licensing; Contractors Registration Section
PO Box 110806
Juneau, AK 99811-0806
907-465-5470 (Co. name A-F)
907-465-8444 (Co. name G-M)
907-465-5372 (Co. name G-M)

Construction contractors must also obtain an Alaska Business License which is issued separately ($50 for 1 year or $100 for 2 years)

Yes – before submitting your application for General Contractor with Residential Endorsement, all individuals must:

1.  Successfully complete the Alaska Craftsman Home Program (ACHP) or it’s equivalent or a post secondary course in arctic engineering, or its equivalent within 2 years.

2.  Schedule an exam with PSI Examination Services:  1-800-727-7204.  Exams are given in Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Juneau.  You do not need approval from the State of Alaska to take the examination.  Examination results are valid for 1 year.

After passing the residential endorsement examination, the following items are required before the residential endorsement can be issued:

  1.  Signed and notarized residential contractor endorsement application
  2. $250 application and registration fee
  3. Copy of official examination results issued by testing provider
  4. Proof of completion of the Alaska Craftsman Home Program or its equivalent, or a post secondary course in arctic engineering, or its equivalent within two years preceding the date of application.
  5. Name of the currently licensed general contractor and contractor license number for which the residential contractor endorsement will be assigned to.

Yes – 16 Hours for renewal of a residential contractor endorsement.  (An applicant for renewal of a residential contractor endorsement for the first time shall document 8 hours of acceptable continued education if you have been licensed for more than 1 year – if you’ve been licensed less than a year, no hours are required.)  Licenses expire December 31 of even number years.  Renewal of Endorsement will coincide with the renewal of the General Contractor registration.


No, there are no agreements at this time.

  • Information Last Updated: 04/2020
  • Did you find incorrect information? Email Us
This was a great course. The instructor was very knowledgeable. *****
Anthony D.
Live Chat