We Are Open & Here To Help!
Call Us 800-727-7104
Monday-Friday 8am-8pm EST

Frequently Asked Questions

Get Licensed

Rhode Island Contractor Licensing

Who needs a Rhode Island contractors license?

Rhode Island law requires any person or entity who is in the business of commercial construction, home construction, alterations, remodeling, or repair to residents to be registered with the State of Rhode Island Contractors’ Registration and Licensing Board.

  • Any person who undertakes, offers to undertake, or submits a bid to do work as a contractor on a structure, or arranges to have work done on a structure.
  • Any partnership, corporation, or joint venture who undertakes, offers to undertake, or submits a bid to do work as a contractor on a structure, or arranges to have work done on a structure.
  • The following subcontractors who are not employees of a registered contractor must obtain a registration certificate prior to conducting any work: (1) Carpenters, including finish carpenters and framers; (2) Siding installers; (3) Roofers; (4) Foundation installers, including concrete installers and form installers; (5) Drywall installers; (6) Plasterers; (7) Insulation installers; (8) Ceramic tile installers; (9) Floor covering installers; (10) Swimming pool installers, both above ground and in ground; (11) Masons, including chimney installers, fireplace installers, and general masonry erectors. This list is not all inclusive and shall not be limited to the above-referenced contractors.

Asbestos Abatement Contractors, Plumbers, Electricians and some other specialty trades must be licensed through another Rhode Island agency. They do not have to file for a Contractor’s Registration unless they work outside of the purview of their license.

Do I need to take an exam in order to get registered?

Contractors do not need to complete an exam. However, Associate Home Inspectors, Commercial Roofers, Home Inspectors, Pump Installers, Residential Water-Filtration and Treatment-System Contractors/Installers, Underground Utilities, and Well Drillers do need to complete exams. These are currently administered by PSI Services.

Are there education requirements to get registered in Rhode Island?

Yes, effective July 1, 2015, all new registrations issued by the Contractors Registration and Licensing Board will require 5 hours of education from a board approved provider. Asbestos Abatement Contractors, Electricians and Plumbers and some specialty trades do require education and exams.

Is the NASCLA Accredited Commercial Contractor license accepted in Rhode Island?


Does Rhode Island require a General Contractor (Commercial Contractor) license?

No, but the registration law applies to all contractors and re-modelers. If a contractor builds commercial structures exclusively or develops land exclusively, they have to be registered.

Does Rhode Island offer reciprocity with other states?

Rhode Island does not offer reciprocity with other states, out of state license holders must register with the CRB.

What are the penalties for not registering to do business as contractor in Rhode Island?

Contractors, remodelers, and subcontractors who do not have a valid registration or license are prohibited from performing contracting work or obtaining a building permit in any of Rhode Island’s 39 cities or towns. In addition, unregistered or unlicensed contractors, upon a finding of violation, are subject to civil and criminal penalties and fines.

What does registration involve?

To become licensed, a person must submit an application, sign a statement that they are aware of the requirements for licensure and have knowledge of the general laws/regulations that govern their profession, obtain liability insurance, pay the fee, and if applicable, successfully pass an examination and complete preliminary and/or continuing educations hours.

What are the requirements for a new contractor to register in Rhode Island?

  1. Five (5) hours of Pre-Education Courses are required for new applicants performing work on any Residential Structures. Click here for information regarding pre-education courses.
  2. Apply Online
  3. $500,000 certificate of liability insurance indicating R.I.C.R.L.B. as certificate holder.
  4. The Contractor Registration Fee is $200
  5. If your company is a corporation or Limited Liability Company, you must possess a valid business registration with the Rhode Island Secretary of State. No documentation of corporate registration is required when submitting your registration, as the R.I.C.R.L.B. will validate this information as part of your application review.

Rhode Island Commercial Roofer Licensing

Do I need to take an exam to get licensed?

Yes. The exam will be taken with PSI.

Are there pre-license education requirements to get licensed in Rhode Island?


Does Rhode Island offer reciprocity with other states?

Rhode Island does not offer reciprocity with other states, out of state license holders must register with the CRB.

What are the penalties for not registering to do business as a contractor in Rhode Island?

Contractors, remodelers, and subcontractors who do not have a valid registration or license are prohibited from performing contracting work or obtaining a building permit in any of Rhode Island’s 39 cities or towns. In addition, unregistered or unlicensed contractors, upon a finding of violation, are subject to civil and criminal penalties and fines.

What are the steps to getting licensed as a Rhode Island commercial roofer?

  1. Take and pass your exam
  2. Complete and submit an application for licensure

Renew a License

Rhode Island Contractors

Is continuing education required for Rhode Island contractors?

Yes, effective July 1, 2021, all Registrants are required to obtain and provide proof of 2.5 hours of continuing education from an approved provider for every 1 year renewal cycle. Asbestos Abatement, electrical and plumbing contractors and some specialty trades require continued education.

When does my Rhode Island contractor license expire?

Annually on date of original licensure. Registration must be renewed through the Rhode Island Contracting board by paying a $150 fee, completing 2.5 hours of continuing education, and filling out an affidavit and registration application. If paying by credit card the fee, continuing education certificates, affidavit, and application must be brought to the Contractors’ Registration and Licensing Board office.

Are your courses approved by the state of Rhode Island?

Yes! Provider #40982, Provider#5

Can I take my continuing education courses any time?

You may purchase courses at any point in your renewal cycle and retain access to them until your renewal date. For your convenience courses can be taken 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, on any internet capable device. If you have questions before purchase or while taking your course, the Builders License Training Institute student services staff is available 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (EST) Monday – Friday.

Who notifies the state of continuing education completion?

You will be able to download and print your certificates immediately after completing the course. These certificates must be mailed along with your renewal application to the State.

What happens if my Rhode Island contractor registration expires?

If you do not complete your continuing education and re-register with the board you will be required to pay an additional $35 late fee to renew. Until you renew your registration you will be unable to obtain any permits to build.

Rhode Island Commercial Roofers

Is continuing education required for Rhode Island Commercial Roofers?

Yes. 12 hours must be completed every two years.

When does my Rhode Island Commercial Roofers license expire?

Biannually from date of original licensure.

Are your courses approved by the state of Rhode Island?

Yes! Provider #40982, Provider#5

Who notifies the state of continuing education completion?

The licensee will submit their certificates with their renewal paperwork.

ICC Certification Renewal

How do I renew my ICC Certification?

  1. Complete the required CEUs
  2. Login to your myICC account
  3. Input your completed CEUs
  4. Pay the appropriate fees

When is my ICC Certification due for renewal?

You must renew your certification every three years. Certificates must be renewed on or before the expiration date to remain current. Prior to the expiration date, a courtesy renewal notice will be sent to the contact information in your myICC account. If for any reason you do not receive this notice, you may obtain renewal information specific to your certification from www.iccsafe.org/ renewals.

How much continuing education do I need to renew my ICC Certificate?

Your continuing education requirement depends on how many active certifications you have.

  • 1 certification – 1.5 CEUs required
  • 2-5 certifications – 3.0 CEUs required
  • 6-10 certifications – 4.5 CEUs required
  • 11+ certifications – 6.0 CEUs required
  • Master Code Professional, CBO, CFM – 6.0 CEUs required.

You must complete half of your continuing education through the ICC or a Preferred Provider – Builders License Training Institute is a Preferred Provider of Education.

What are the fees to renew my ICC Certificate?

  • 1 certification – $90 for members – $115 for nonmembers
  • 2-5 certifications – $100 for members – $125 for nonmembers
  • 6-10 certifications – $120 for members – $135 for nonmembers
  • 11+ – $130 for members – $155 for nonmembers
  • Reinstatement Fee – $115 for members – $160 for nonmembers

What are the ICC certifications?

Residential Inspection
B1 Residential Building Inspector
E1 Residential Electrical Inspector
P1 Residential Plumbing Inspector
M1 Residential Mechanical Inspector
R5 Residential Combination Inspector

Commercial Inspection
B2 Commercial Building Inspector
E2 Commercial Electrical Inspector
P2 Commercial Plumbing Inspector
M2 Commercial Mechanical Inspector
C5 Commercial Combination Inspector

Plans Examiner
B3 Building Plans Examiner
E3 Electrical Plans Examiner
P3 Plumbing Plans Examiner
M3 Mechanical Plans Examiner
R3 Residential Plans Examiner
RF Residential Fire Sprinkler Inspector/PE
C3 Combination Plans Examiner

Energy Inspection/Plans Examiner
77 Commercial Energy Inspector
78 Commercial Energy Plans Examiner
79 Residential Energy Inspector/Plans Examiner
CE Commercial Energy Inspector/Plans Examiner
with ASHRAE 90.1

GC IgCC Inspector/Plans Examiner w/ ASHRAE 189
G1 Green Building—Residential Examiner

66 Fire Inspector I
67 Fire Inspector II
F3 Fire Plans Examiner
FM Certified Fire Marshal (CFM) [6.0 CEUs]
CA Commercial Fire Alarm Inspector
CN Commercial Fire Alarm Plan Examiner I
CR Commercial Fire Alarm Plans Examiner II
CF Commercial Fire Sprinkler Inspector
CP Commercial Fire Sprinkler Plans Examiner

Special Inspector
49 Reinforced Concrete Special Inspector
48 Reinforced Concrete Special Inspector Associate
NOTE: ACI Field Technician Grade 1 must be current for 48 or 49
92 Prestressed Concrete Special Inspector
S1 Structural Steel and Bolting Special Inspector
S2 Structural Welding Special Inspector
86 Spray-applied Fireproofing Special Inspector
84 Structural Masonry Special Inspector
EC Soils Special Inspector
MI Master of Special Inspection

Code Enforcement
14 Permit Technician
21 Accessibility Inspector/Plans Examiner
75 Zoning Inspector
64 Property Maintenance and Housing Inspector
C1 Coastal and Floodplain Construction Inspector
DR Disaster Response Inspector
FG Fuel Gas Inspector

General Inspection
B5 Building Inspector
E5 Electrical Inspector
P5 Plumbing Inspector
M5 Mechanical Inspector
C8 Combination Inspector (Bldg, Elect, Plbg, Mech)

State-Specific & Specialty
FR Florida Roofing Inspector
I1 California Commercial Building Inspector
I2 California Commercial Electrical Inspector
I3 California Commercial Plumbing Inspector
I4 California Commercial Mechanical Inspector
I5 California Commercial Combination Inspector
I6 California Building Plans Examiner
I8 Combination Inspector—California Codes
J1 California Residential Building Inspector
J2 California Residential Electrical Inspector
J3 California Residential Plumbing Inspector
J4 California Residential Mechanical Inspector
J5 California Residential Combination Inspector
CT CALGreen Inspector/Plans Examiner
76 ICC/AACE Code Enforcement Administrator
73 ICC/AACE Code Enforcement Officer

Code Official & Code Specialist
CB Certified Building Official (CBO) [6.0 CEUs]
B8 Building Code Specialist
CSP Certified Sustainability Professional
ECS IECC/HERS Compliance Specialist
E8 Electrical Code Specialist
P8 Plumbing Code Specialist
M8 Mechanical Code Specialist
H8 Housing and Zoning Code Specialist
FA Fire Code Specialist
G8 Energy Code Specialist

34 Plumbing Inspector UPC
44 Mechanical Inspector UMC
50 Combination Inspector—Uniform Codes
56 Combination Dwelling Inspector—Uniform Codes
57 Light Commercial Combination Inspector – Uniform

CX CAL Green Plans Examiner
CG CAL Green Inspector
F1 Fire Prevention Inspector I—NFPC
F2 Fire Prevention Inspector II—NFPC
L1 Louisiana Residential Plumbing Inspector
L2 Louisiana Commercial Plumbing Inspector
L3 Louisiana Plumbing Plans Examiner
N7 Building Fire Protection Inspector
N8 Building Fire Protection Plans Examiner
97 Elevator Inspector
85 Structural Steel & Welding Special Inspector
88 Reinforced Concrete Special Inspector—Legacy
89 Prestressed Concrete Special Inspector—Legacy
EA Commercial Energy Inspector w/ASHRAE 90.1
EB Commercial Energy PE w/ASHRAE 90.1
G2 IgCC Commercial Inspector
G3 IgCC Commercial Inspector w/ASHRAE 189.1
G4 IgCC Plans Examiner
G5 IgCC Plans Examiner w/ASHRAE 189.1
B6 Certified Building Code Official (CBCO)
E6 Certified Electrical Code Official (CECO)
P6 Certified Plumbing Code Official (CPCO)
M6 Certified Mechanical Code Official (CMCO)
H6 Certified Housing Code Official (CHCO)
F6 Certified Fire Code Official (CFCO)
N2 New Jersey Commercial Plumbing Inspector
N3 New Jersey Plumbing Plans Examiner
MR Minnesota Residential Plumbing Inspector
MC Minnesota Commercial Plumbing Inspector

About the Courses

Once I order the course, how long before I can start?

You may begin immediately! Simply click the Login button in the upper right-hand corner on your desktop or in the upper-right menu on mobile. Once you’ve entered your login and password, you will be taken to your courses. Follow the instructions and enjoy!

Once I start an online course, will I be able to start and stop at anytime?

Our courses are available online 24/7 and you are able to log in and log out at any time during the course. If you are going to be away from your computer for more than 10-15 minutes, simply log out. When you log back in, you will be able to re-enter the lesson you were last in.

How long do your continuing education courses take to complete?

Continuing education requirements vary by state. Each course lists a minimum number of credit hours required to complete the course.

How long do your exam prep courses take to complete?

Each course lists the total amount of hours for the course. However, we cover materials quickly and many contractors like to re-watch materials. In other words, this question really depends on your learning style. We recommend that you go through the course as many times as you need to be comfortable with the material and any applicable reference books. The more familiar you are with the materials, the better you will do on your exam!

How long do I have the courses?

We allow up to 6 months for you to complete the courses. During the six months you have unlimited, 24/7 access. If you need additional time, please contact our offices to arrange an extension (please note: a fee may apply).

Are there tests in the courses?

This varies depending on whether the course is continuing education or exam prep.

There are no quizzes for continuing education courses in Michigan. All other states with continuing education require quizzes to check completion progress.

In exam prep courses there will be a short quiz at the end of each lesson and there is also a longer practice test at the end of each course. These quizzes and tests will help you practice taking an exam and identify areas you may wish to study more.

If I fail a practice test, do I have to take it again?

Practice tests are just that: for practice. You will have the opportunity to retake the practice tests until you do pass. The practice tests are there to help you get used to the process of using your reference materials and finding the correct answers during an exam. If you don’t pass on the first try, take the time to note what sections of the material you need to review.

Once I complete a course, can I still go back and review the lessons and quizzes?

You are able to review the lessons and quizzes at any time during the six months you’ll have access to the courses.

State & Testing Contact Info

Rhode Island Contractors Board

Rhode Island Contractors Board
560 Jefferson Blvd, Suite 200
Warwick, RI 02886
(401) 921-1590

PSI Services, Inc

Contact PSI for information regarding the Rhode Island licensing exams
PSI Services
3210 East Tropicana
Las Vegas, NV 89121