New courses for Massachusetts Building Code Officials!
Builders License Training Institute has a newly approved continuing education package that meets Category 1 requirements for Massachusetts Building Code Officials.
This 30-hour package is available from any internet-capable device – 24/7 so you can start and stop your courses as often as you’d like.
Continuing Education Requirements
You must complete 45 hours of continuing education every three years by the anniversary of initial licensing. 30 of these hours must be Category 1; the other 15 hours may be category 1 or 2.
Sign up now!
Building Official 30-Hour
Approved For Category 1
Building Officials 30 Hour Continuing Competency Package | Massachusetts
This package fulfills all state Continuing Education requirements for 30 hours of Category 1.
Included in this course:
- Code Tables, Illustrations, and Footnotes (45 minutes)
- Administrative Responsibilities (1 hr 30 minutes)
- General Building and Construction Knowledge (30 minutes)
- 2015 International Building Code (IBC) 780 CMR Ninth Edition—Basic/Commercial (2 hrs 45 minutes)
- 2015 International Residential Code (IRC) 780 CMR Ninth Edition (2 hrs)
- Energy Efficiency (1 hr and 30 minutes)
- Accessibility (1 hr)
Only need a few classes?
Sign up for a 10 or 4-hour course here.
Common Massachusetts Building Code Official FAQs
What continuing education is required for Massachusetts Building Code Officials?
Building Code Officials are required to complete 45 hours of continuing education credits every 3 years.
What is the category breakdown of the required Massachusetts Building Code Official 45 hours?
30 hours must be Category 1 (10 per year)
15 hours in any combination of Category 1 or 2
How are the Massachusetts Building Code Official continuing education categories defined?
Category 1: Covers materials that are considered directly pertinent to the job functions of a building code enforcement official. An example would be courses on The Massachusetts State Building Code.
Category 2: Category 2 credits may come from any of the following 5 sources:
- Continuing education delivered, offered or sponsored by an accredited academic institution.
- Continuing education delivered, offered or sponsored by the International Code Council (ICC), National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) or other approved professional organization.
- Attendance at, and/or participation in, monthly meetings sponsored by the Massachusetts Building Commissioners and Inspectors Association, the Southeastern Massachusetts Building Officials Association, the Building Officials of Western Massachusetts, MetroWest Building Officials of Massachusetts or other approved building code enforcement officials’ organizations.
- Instructors of continuing education meeting the requirements of this policy may be approved for credit for having prepared and instructed said continuing education. (Maximum of 10 hrs)
- On-line and webinar presentations available through The International Code Council (ICC) or other recognized companies.