Massachusetts Construction Supervisor FAQ

We are here to help you get licensed! Call us to speak with a licensing expert.

Q: Who needs a Massachusetts Construction Supervisor License?

A general contractor in Massachusetts is known as a Construction Supervisor. Construction of all one and two family dwellings and all buildings containing less than 35,000 cubic feet of enclosed space must be constructed under the supervision of a person licensed as a Construction Supervisor by the State Board of Building Regulations and Standards.

Q: Do I need an Unrestricted or a Restricted license?

Unrestricted — You must be licensed as an Unrestricted Construction Supervisor if you are directly supervising persons engaged in construction, reconstruction, alteration, repair, removal or demolition involving any activity regulated by the code for:

  • Buildings containing less than 35,000 cubic feet of enclosed space: and
  • One- and two-family dwellings or any accessory building regardless of size

    NOTE:  Buildings over 35,000 cubic feet require the control of an engineer or architect.

Restricted — (One- and Two-Family Dwellings Only). This license limits you to direct supervision of persons engaged in construction, reconstruction, alteration, repair, removal or demolition involving any activity regulated by the code for:

  • Any one-and two-family dwellings regardless of size, or
  • Any accessory building regardless of size.

    Please note that many municipalities in Massachusetts, separate from the State requirements just noted, often require some type of contractor’s licensing on larger buildings. Please check with local municipalities directly for local contractor licensing requirements in addition to the State requirements.

Q: Are there any exemptions from the Construction Supervisor License requirement?

The State Building Code provides exemptions for the following construction related activities:

  • Construction of swimming pools
  • Erection of signs
  • Erection of tents
  • Any building which is subject to construction control

Some local municipalities still require the above types of contractors to be licensed.  Please check with your local building department for verification.

Q: What work experience do I need in order to obtain a CSL?

Your work experience does not have to be continuous, but over the past 10 years you most have a total of 36 months or full-time (40 hours per week).


  • Successful completion of a three-or four-year vocational high school or other vocational school program in the field of building construction or completion of a bachelor, master or PhD degree from an accredited college or university shall be deemed as satisfying one year of work experience.
  • Successful completion of a bachelor, master or PhD degree from an accredited college or university in architecture or science, engineering, or technology in a related field shall be deemed as satisfying two years work experience.
  • Education can account for a maximum of two years experience.

Please note:

  • Union affiliation only is not acceptable as work experience.
  • Active military service relevant to construction may be considered as work experience

Q: How do I verify my construction or design experience?

Work experience may be verified in one of two ways:

  1. Tax forms: W-2, or IRS Schedule C or 1099 forms are acceptable. Submit forms for the equivalent of three years full time experience. If education is used for experience then submit a copy of the diploma and/or degree that you acquired.
  2. Letter of Attestation: In lieu of tax records a letter of attestation from an individual (e.g. engineer, architect, employer, military supervisor, licensed contractor, or other) stating that you have at least three years of construction and/or design experience.

Q: What are the steps to getting a Massachusetts Construction Supervisor License?

  1. Determine which type of license need.
  2. Verify 3 years of experience in building construction or design.
  3. Submit the candidate exam registration form and exam fee to Prometric.
  4. Wait 10 days and then call (800) 813-6671 to schedule your exam.
  5. Mail the score report from your exam and applicable license fees to the Board of Building Regulations and Standards.

Q: What are the Massachusetts CSL exam fees?

The fee for each exam is $100. You must pay $100 for each Specialty License Category you are applying for.

Q: How do I register for a CSL exam?

  1. Complete the candidate registration form at the end of the Candidate Bulletin
  2. Mail in registration form and applicable exam fees
  3. Wait 10 days to allow for processing of your registration
  4. Call (800) 813-6671 to schedule your exam

Note that there are exam centers across the U.S. and you will be able to choose the location closest to you when scheduling your exam.

Q: Is the CSL exam open book?

Yes, all Massachusetts CSL exams are open book. However, you will need to bring your own reference materials–they will not be provided to you at the exam center.

For a complete list of allowed references, view the candidate bulletin.

Q: When do I need to renew my Massachusetts Construction Supervisor license?

Licenses must be renewed every two years.

Q: What are the fees for renewing my CSL?

$100.00 each.

If you would like to renew a license that has been expired for less than 2 years, the fee is $200 each.

Q: What are steps for renewing my license?

  1. Complete the required continuing education hours
  2. Complete a renewal application
  3. Pay the appropriate renewal fees

Q: What continuing education is required to renew my Massachusetts CSL?

  • Unrestricted construction supervisor: 12 hours
  • Restricted construction supervisor: 10 hours
  • Specialty construction supervisor (masonry, roofing, insulation, etc.): 6 hours

Q: When should I complete my continuing education hours?

You should complete your courses every two years, at least 60 days before your license expires.

Q: How will the state know I have completed my continuing education hours?

We will report your continuing education to Massachusetts on the business day following your course completion.

Q: Can I take the same continuing education class twice and still receive credit for it?

You can purchase and repeat the same class as long as it is in a different licensing cycle. Credit cannot be earned if the same course is taken twice during the same licensing cycle.

Q: Are your online courses approved by the State of Massachusetts?

Absolutely! Our approvals can also be seen on

You may begin immediately! Simply click the Login button in the upper right-hand corner on your desktop or in the upper-right menu on mobile. Once you’ve entered your login and password, you will be taken to your courses. Follow the instructions and enjoy!

Our courses are available online 24/7 and you are able to log in and log out at any time during the course. If you are going to be away from your computer for more than 10-15 minutes, simply log out. When you log back in, you will be able to re-enter the lesson you were last in.

Continuing education requirements vary by state. Each course lists a minimum number of credit hours required to complete the course.

Each course lists the total amount of hours for the course. However, we cover materials quickly and many contractors like to re-watch materials. In other words, this question really depends on your learning style. We recommend that you go through the course as many times as you need to be comfortable with the material and any applicable reference books. The more familiar you are with the materials, the better you will do on your exam!

We allow up to 6 months for you to complete the courses. During the six months you have unlimited, 24/7 access. If you need additional time, please contact our offices to arrange an extension (please note: a fee may apply).

This varies depending on whether the course is continuing education or exam prep.

There are no quizzes for continuing education courses in Michigan. All other states with continuing education require quizzes to check completion progress.

In exam prep courses there will be a short quiz at the end of each lesson and there is also a longer practice test at the end of each course. These quizzes and tests will help you practice taking an exam and identify areas you may wish to study more.

Practice tests are just that: for practice. You will have the opportunity to retake the practice tests until you do pass. The practice tests are there to help you get used to the process of using your reference materials and finding the correct answers during an exam. If you don’t pass on the first try, take the time to note what sections of the material you need to review.

You are able to review the lessons and quizzes at any time during the six months you’ll have access to the courses.

Office of Public Safety and Inspections
1000 Washington St, Suite 710
Boston, MA 02118
(617) 727-3200 *

*If looking for a status update on a license renewal, please put your full OPSI license number, including prefix, in the subject line.

ATTN: MA Construction Supervisor Program
7941 Corporate Drive
Nottingham, MD 21236
(800) 813-6671

We have a tutoring program designed to help you get one-on-one time with a licensed instructor. With this program you will get answers to questions you are still struggling with and advice on how to study for and pass your exams. Visit our Career Plus Services page to get more information.

We have a licensing application consultant who can help you navigate the ins and outs of state licensing regulations. Visit our Career Plus Services page to get more information.

Live Chat