Alaska Contractor FAQ

We are here to help you get licensed! Call us to speak with a licensing expert.

Q: Is the NASCLA Accredited Commercial Contractor license accepted in Alaska?


Q: Does Alaska offer contractor reciprocity?


Q: Do I need an Alaska construction contractor license?

Professional Licensing Section:The only way to evaluate whether you need a license is to become familiar with the laws governing your profession. The statutes and regulations regarding contractors cover all circumstances in which you need a contractor license and provides for certain exemptions.

You may need a construction contractor or mechanical/electrical administrator license if:

  • Your business name, signage, or advertising potentially indicates to the public that you are either a builder or contractor, or that you are qualified to engage in the contracting business.
  • If you plan to submit bids to work as a contractor.
  • If you work for a contractor, work as a subcontractor on smaller jobs for a general contractor, or subcontract work to a licensed contractor.
  • If you perform mechanical or electrical installation.
  • If you perform mechanical or electrical repairs or maintenance. The The Department of Labor (Anchorage: 269-4925, Juneau: 465-4871, Fairbanks: 451-2894) may also require that certain electrical and mechanical work be performed by a licensed journeyman.

Corporations Section: If your business structure is an entity (i.e. corporation, LLC, etc.), per Alaska Statute Title 10, you must register your entity; for more information go to: Corporations Section

Business Licensing Section: Prior to engaging in business activity, per AS 43.70, you must obtain an Alaskan Business License; for more information go to: Business Licensing Section

Q: I’m a handyman, do I need a professional license?

Professional Licensing: In a move designed to provide consumer protection to Alaskans, the legislature passed SB 193 extending the licensure and bonding requirement to all construction contractors—including those often known as “handymen” who work on smaller jobs.

Q: What are the amounts of bonding required of contractors?

Effective January 1, 2015, bonding requirements for existing contractor and home inspector license types have increased:

  • General contractor: $25,000
  • General contractor with residential endorsement, performing exclusively residential work: $20,000
  • Mechanical or specialty contractor: $10,000
  • Home inspector: $10,000
  • Handyman (Contractor whose work on one project with an aggregate contract price of $10,000 or less, including all labor, materials, and other items, when the work is not part of a larger or major operation or otherwise divided into contracts of less than $10,000 to evade a higher bonding requirement): $5,000

Q: What types of construction licenses are there in Alaska?

  • General Contractors
    • General Contractors may perform new home construction, commercial work, and residential remodel work. General contractors that oversee new home construction or perform residential work greater than 25% of the value of a structure being altered must obtain a Residential Contractor license and/or a Residential Contractor Endorsement.
  • Residential Contractors
    • Residential Contractors are contractors who have a Residential Contractor Endorsement or have assigned to them an individual(s) who has a residential contractor endorsement. Residential Contractors may undertake construction of a privately owned residential structure of one to four units and residential work greater than 25% the value of the structure being altered.
  • Residential Contractor Endorsement
    • This endorsement may be obtained after an individual has completed a 16-hour cold climate course and passed the residential contractors endorsement exam. A holder of a residential contractor endorsement is not permitted to perform work under this license unless they are assigned to a Residential Contractor or hold a Residential Contractor’s license themselves in addition to this endorsement.
  • Specialty Contractors
    • Specialty contractors may perform work that requires the use of not more than three trades. If your work falls under more than three trades you will need to apply as a General or Residential Contractor.
  • Electrical Contractors
    • Electrical contractors are licensed Specialty Contractors who have Electrical Contractor or Communications Contractor listed as one of their trades. In order to qualify as an electrical contractor an Electrical Administrator license must be assigned to the Specialty Contractor as an additional license, or an individual who holds an electrical administrator license must be assigned to the specialty contractor. Please see the Electrical Administrator’s license page for more information regarding this additional license type required.
  • Mechanical Contractors
    • Mechanical contractors may perform any of the mechanical disciplines for which their Mechanical Administrator license allows (plumbing, heating, sheet metal, or refrigeration). A mechanical administrator license is required in addition to the Mechanical Contractors license in order to perform work. A Mechanical Contractor may hold the mechanical administrator license themselves as an additional license, or have an individual(s) assigned to their license who holds the Mechanical Administrator license. Please see the Mechanical Administrator’s license page for more information regarding this additional license type required. Please note a mechanical contractor may only perform mechanical work; the installation of mechanical controls requires both an Electrical Administrators license and a Mechanical Administrators license.
  • Handyman Contractors
    • Handyman contractors may perform work on projects with an aggregate contract of $10,000 or less for each project. This aggregate total is to include all labor, materials and other items for that project.


  • Select your business structure: (i.e. sole proprietorship, corporation, LLC, etc.)
  • Determine your line of business and NAICS code:
  • Research and select your business name:
  • If an entity (i.e. corporation, LLC, LLP, LP, etc.) select your Registered Agent:
  • For additional resources go to: BusinessLicense.Alaska.Gov, and scroll down to RESOURCES.
  • Further assistance: you are advised to seek the services of an attorney or other qualified professional.

Step 1 (if applicable) Professional License Section:

If applicable, apply to the State of Alaska Professional License Section for an entity professional license for corporations, LLCs, LLPs, LPs, or apply for an individual professional license.

Step 2 (if applicable) Corporations Section:

Register your corporation/entity with the State of Alaska Corporations Section to receive an Alaska entity number.

Step 3 Business License Section:

Apply to the State of Alaska Business License Section for a business license.

Step 4 IMPORTANT — Check with other agencies:

After you have met the above requirements (Step 1-3) with this Division there will be other agencies you need to work with to ensure compliance with local, state and federal government requirements.

For more information go to: Business Structure FAQs.

Q: Is continuing education required for an Alaska contractor license?

Yes – 16 Hours for renewal of a residential contractor endorsement.  (An applicant for renewal of a residential contractor endorsement for the first time shall document 8 hours of acceptable continued education if you have been licensed for more than 1 year – if you’ve been licensed less than a year, no hours are required.)  Renewal of Endorsement will coincide with the renewal of the General Contractor registration.

Q: When do I need to submit biennial reports to the Alaska Corporations Section?

For-Profit Corporations, Professional Corporations, Limited Liability Companies, and Limited Liability Partnerships:

Biennial reports are due by January 2, reports post marked after February 1 incur late fee penalties. Early filing available October 2nd prior to your filing year (even/odd).

Q: When does my Alaska Business License expire?

Business licenses are purchased for a one or two year period and expire on December 31 of the one or two year period purchased. Business license renewal period starts October 1 in the year your business license expires.

Q: When does my Alaska Professional License expire?

General & Residential Endorsement: December 31st of even numbered years
Specialty & Mechanical: December 31st of odd numbered years

Q: How do I renew my Alaska contractor license?

  1. Visit the MY LICENSE customer home page at: ProfessionalLicense.Alaska.Gov/MYLICENSE
  2. If you have an existing myAlaska account, enter your account information. If not, please create an account. You will be redirected to the MY LICENSE customer home page.
  3. Under Access an Existing License, enter your license number and Web Authorization Code, if one has been provided. This information is on your renewal notice.
  4. To renew your license, simply select the license you wish to renew from the Professional Licensing section.

You may begin immediately! Simply click the Login button in the upper right-hand corner on your desktop or in the upper-right menu on mobile. Once you’ve entered your login and password, you will be taken to your courses. Follow the instructions and enjoy!

Our courses are available online 24/7 and you are able to log in and log out at any time during the course. If you are going to be away from your computer for more than 10-15 minutes, simply log out. When you log back in, you will be able to re-enter the lesson you were last in.

Continuing education requirements vary by state. Each course lists a minimum number of credit hours required to complete the course.

Each course lists the total amount of hours for the course. However, we cover materials quickly and many contractors like to re-watch materials. In other words, this question really depends on your learning style. We recommend that you go through the course as many times as you need to be comfortable with the material and any applicable reference books. The more familiar you are with the materials, the better you will do on your exam!

We allow up to 6 months for you to complete the courses. During the six months you have unlimited, 24/7 access. If you need additional time, please contact our offices to arrange an extension (please note: a fee may apply).

This varies depending on whether the course is continuing education or exam prep.

There are no quizzes for continuing education courses in Michigan. All other states with continuing education require quizzes to check completion progress.

In exam prep courses there will be a short quiz at the end of each lesson and there is also a longer practice test at the end of each course. These quizzes and tests will help you practice taking an exam and identify areas you may wish to study more.

Practice tests are just that: for practice. You will have the opportunity to retake the practice tests until you do pass. The practice tests are there to help you get used to the process of using your reference materials and finding the correct answers during an exam. If you don’t pass on the first try, take the time to note what sections of the material you need to review.

You are able to review the lessons and quizzes at any time during the six months you’ll have access to the courses.

Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing Anchorage
550 W. 7th Ave, Ste 1500
Anchorage, AK 99501
(907) 269-8160

Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing Juneau
PO Box 110806
Juneau, AK 99811

State Office Building
333 Willoughby Ave, 9th FL
Juneau, AK 99801
(907) 465-2550

Contact PSI for information regarding the Alaska Residential Contractors exam
PSI Services
3210 East Tropicana
Las Vegas, NV 89121

We have a tutoring program designed to help you get one-on-one time with a licensed instructor. With this program you will get answers to questions you are still struggling with and advice on how to study for and pass your exams. Visit our Career Plus Services page to get more information.

We have a licensing application consultant who can help you navigate the ins and outs of state licensing regulations. Visit our Career Plus Services page to get more information.

Live Chat