Utah Contractor FAQs

  1. Complete a State approved 25-hour pre-licensure education program. The 25-hour program must be taken in live lectures or training sessions.
  2. Pass the Business Law exam and the exam for the type of license you are seeking.  You must pass the required exams prior to submitting your application to the State of Utah.  The exams can be taken through PSI Examination Services at any of these testing locations:   Hurricane, North Orem, North Salt Lake City, or Sunset.
  3. Once you’ve passed the exam,  send your passing score, license application, and work experience documentation to the State of Utah.  The license application packet and instructions for completing the application are included with our course.  The application will need to be mailed to:
Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing (DOPL)
P.O. Box 146741
Salt Lake City, Utah 84111
(801) 530-6628
Or visit their website at:

You can also submit the application in person to their office at 160 East 300 South, 1st Floor, Salt Lake City, UT 84111

There are only a handful of providers approved to provide the 25-hour Utah Contractor Prelicense program.  Here is a link to those providers:


  • You must take the Utah Business and Law Examination. The Utah Business and Law Examination requirement will only be waived if the qualifying individual has passed the test previously.
  • You must meet the experience requirements
    • In the past 10 years, a minimum of two years of full-time related experience, one year of which shall be in a supervisory or managerial position for applicants of the following contractor classifications:
      • E100-General Engineering
      • B100-General Building
      • R100-Residential and Small Commercial
    • In the past 10 years, a minimum of two years of full-time related experience for applicants of the following contractor  classifications:
      • S220-Carpentry
      • S290-General Masonry
      • S320-Steel Erection
      • S350-Heating Ventilating and Air Conditioning
      • S360-Refrigeration
      • S370-Fire Suppression
    • In the past 10 years, a minimum of two years of full-time related experience for applicants of all other contractor classifications not listed above, excluding electrical and plumbing.
  • Liability Insurance Coverage - All contractors must carry continuous liability insurance. You must report your insurance provider, policy number, expiration date and aggregate coverage in excess of $300,000 on your renewal form.
  • Workers Compensation - Contractors must carry workers’ compensation insurance for all employees and certain owner-workers. You must report the name of your provider, the policy number and the expiration on your renewal form.
  • Owner-Worker Classification - Utah law now requires that certain contractors provide additional information when applying for a license. Entities other than corporations or publicly traded companies that have owners who (1) own less than eight percent of the licensed entity; and who (2) actively engage in the construction activities on behalf of the licensed contractor entity; must provide additional reporting to DOPL and must assure that such owner-workers are covered by workers’ compensation insurance and unemployment insurance.

For further licensing requirement information, please refer to the Utah website or R156-55a-302b. Qualifications for Licensure – Experience Requirements.

Yes.  In the past 10 years, a minimum of two years of full-time related experience is required. If you are seeking a license for general, residential or small commercial building, one of the two years of the full-time related experience must be in a supervisory or managerial position.

For more information, please visit the Utah website regarding R156-55a-302b. Qualifications for Licensure – Experience Requirements.

Yes, Utah has a set of Laws and Rules Concerning Military Personnel.  Here is the link to those special requirements:



When you pass the NASCLA Accredited Examination for Commercial General Building Contractors, you will be listed in the NASCLA National Examination Database. You will then have this information available for the following states which accept the NASCLA Accredited Examination: AL, AR, GA, LA, MS, NV, NC, OR, SC, TN, UT, US Virgin Islands, VA, and WV.

You may also need to take each states’ specific business/law/project management exam in addition to the NASCLA exam.


Contractors: Six hours each licensing cycle, three of which must be “Core” courses and the other three may be either “Professional” or “Core”. Licensing Cycle ends November 30 of odd years (2011, 2013, 2015…)

Plumbers: Twelve hours of Continuing Education each licensing period. Eight hours must be “Core” education and the remaining four can be “Professional” or “Core” related. Licensing Cycle ends November 30th of even years (2012, 2014, 2016)

Electricians: Sixteen hours of Continuing Education each licensing period. Twelve hours must be “Core” education and the remaining four can be “Professional” or “Core” related Licensing Cycle ends November 30th of even years (2012, 2014, 2016…)

Renewal will be not be permitted until Continuing Education is completed and uploaded to the Utah State registry. To check your completed Continuing Education hours, go to http://www.utah.gov/ce-public.

You must select CE courses that are approved by the Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing (DOPL)

* The State of Utah has changed the rules for building contractor education providers effective December 1st and is no longer allowing out of State providers.

General Building Contractors License (B100) – B100 license holders are able to work on a building or structure of any kind. This includes remodeling, repairing, building, etc. However, licensees may not do any plumbing, electrical, or mechanical work. Strictly structural type of work.

Residential & Small Commercial Contractors License (R100) – R100 license holders may work on residential property & and on small commercial projects. “Residential” is considered anything that is a single or multi-family home and has 4 units or less. “Small Commercial” is considered anything 3 stories or less, and doesn’t have any more than 20,000 sq. ft.


Information is continually added and updated. Please check back

I have taken your CE courses for my last two renewals and have been very pleased at how easy and informative your courses are. I can just jump on my computer and complete them whenever I want.

Kirk Riker from Brewster, MA
Chat with us