Utah Contractor Licensing FAQ

Published on January 14, 2019 by Sara Chauvette

Utah Contractor Exam Prep

How do I get a Utah contractor license?

  1. Complete a State approved 25-hour pre-licensure education program.
  2.  Pass the Business Law Exam and Trade Exam for the type of license you are seeking.
    You must pass the required exams prior to submitting your application to the State of Utah.
    The exams can be taken through PSI Examination Services at any of these testing locations:   Hurricane, North Orem, North Salt Lake City, or Sunset.
  3. Once you’ve passed the exam,  send your passing score, license application, and work experience documentation to the State of Utah.  The license application packet and instructions for completing the application are included with our course.  The application will need to be mailed to:
    Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing (DOPL)
    P.O. Box 146741
    Salt Lake City, Utah 84111
    (801) 530-6628

Or visit their website at: dopl.utah.gov/licensing/contracting.html

Where do I go to take the 25-Hour Utah Contractor Pre-Licensure Course?

There are only a handful of providers approved to provide the 25-hour Utah Contractor Prelicense program.  Here is a link to those providers: http://dopl.utah.gov/forms/Contractor_Approved_Pre_Lic.pdf

What are the requirements prior to getting a Utah contractor license?

  • You must take the Utah Business and Law Examination. Online Utah Business & Law and Trades Exam Prep
    The Utah Business and Law Examination requirement will only be waived if the qualifying individual has passed the test previously.
  • You must meet the experience requirements
    • In the past 10 years, a minimum of two years of full-time related experience, one year of which shall be in a supervisory or managerial position for applicants of the following contractor classifications:
      • E100-General Engineering
      • B100-General Building
      • R100-Residential and Small Commercial
    • In the past 10 years, a minimum of two years of full-time related experience for applicants of the following contractor  classifications:
      • S220-Carpentry
      • S290-General Masonry
      • S320-Steel Erection
      • S350-Heating Ventilating and Air Conditioning
      • S360-Refrigeration
      • S370-Fire Suppression
    • In the past 10 years, a minimum of two years of full-time related experience for applicants of all other contractor classifications not listed above, excluding electrical and plumbing.
  • Liability Insurance Coverage – All contractors must carry continuous liability insurance. You must report your insurance provider, policy number, expiration date and aggregate coverage in excess of $300,000 on your renewal form.
  • Workers Compensation – Contractors must carry workers’ compensation insurance for all employees and certain owner-workers. You must report the name of your provider, the policy number and the expiration on your renewal form.
  • Owner-Worker Classification – Utah law now requires that certain contractors provide additional information when applying for a license. Entities other than corporations or publicly traded companies that have owners who (1) own less than eight percent of the licensed entity; and who (2) actively engage in the construction activities on behalf of the licensed contractor entity; must provide additional reporting to DOPL and must assure that such owner-workers are covered by workers’ compensation insurance and unemployment insurance.

For further licensing requirement information, please refer to the Utah website or R156-55a-302b. Qualifications for Licensure – Experience Requirements.

What is the difference between a General Building Contractors License (B100) and a Residential & Small Commercial Contractors License (R100)?

  • General Building Contractors License (B100) – B100 license holders are able to work on a building or structure of any kind. This includes remodeling, repairing, building, etc. However, licensees may not do any plumbing, electrical, or mechanical work. Strictly structural type of work.
  • Residential & Small Commercial Contractors License (R100) – R100 license holders may work on residential property & and on small commercial projects. “Residential” is considered anything that is a single or multi-family home and has 4 units or less. “Small Commercial” is considered anything 3 stories or less, and doesn’t have any more than 20,000 sq. ft.