To become a licensed contractor in Oregon you must:

  1. Complete a State-approved 16-hour exam prep training course.
  2. Register and pass the Construction Contractors Board’s statewide test.
  3. File your assumed business name, corporation or LLC at the Oregon Corporation Division
  4. Obtain and submit a CCB surety bond in the required amount.
  5. Obtain and provide proof of general liability insurance in the required amount.
  6. Provide evidence of worker’s compensation and other employer account numbers if applicable.
  7. Apply for and get the State BIN (Business Identification Number) number from the Oregon Dept. of Revenue and write it on the application.
  8. Apply for and get the Federal EIN from the IRS.  Do not substitute a Social Security Number for the EIN number.
  9. Apply for your license with the CCB by submitting an application with the $325 fee for two years. You must apply for your license within 24 months of passing the State Exam.  Applications can be obtained from:
Oregon Construction Contractors Board
P.O. Box 14140
Salem, OR  97309
Phone:  (503) 378-4621
Website:  http://www.oregon.gov/ccb
Forms and fees:  http://www.oregon.gov/CCB/licensing/Pages/forms-fees.aspx

There are three License Endorsements:  Residential, Commercial, and a combination of Residential & Commercial.  Once you’ve selected an endorsement, you will need to select a classification (list with descriptions on application).

Yes!   (Oregon Provider ID #2772 )

Oregon’s Construction Contractor Licensing Act requires any “person” that is engaged for compensation in any construction activity involving improvements to real estate to be licensed with the Oregon Construction Contractors Board (CCB).  A license is required for any “person” that advertises, offers, bids or arranges to do, or actually does any construction, alteration, remodeling, or repair involving residential, commercial, industrial, or public works improvements.  Inspection services, tree services, chimney sweep businesses and developers who build structures with the intent to sell are also required to become licensed.  A CCB license is also required for those who purchase homes, fix them up themselves and resell them and for material suppliers that receive compensation for installing or arranging the installation of the materials.

Plumbers and electricians require a license with the Building Codes Division (BCD) and a business license with the Construction Contractors Board.  Landscape contractors and Landscape businesses require a license with the Oregon Landscape Contractors Board (LCB).

Yes.  All license applicants must have one Responsible Managing Individual (RMI) who is responsible for either completing the minimum of 16-hours of training from CCB approved training providers and passing the Oregon state CCB test or for proving he/she is not required to take the training and test by documentation of having the qualifying experience.  Once the RMI has completed the training, the training provider will send training completion information to PSI, the testing agency.  The RMI must also pass an exam given by PSI Exams.  The cost to take the exam is $60.  Direct any questions about the exam to PSI Exams at: 1-800-733-9267 or  https://candidate.psiexams.com.

Oregon law requires anyone who works for compensation (except bonafide employees) in any construction activity involving improvements to real property to be licensed with the Oregon Construction Contractors Board (CCB)

       Some examples include:

  • Roofing
  • Siding
  • Painting
  • Carpentry
  • Floor covering
  • Concrete
  • Heating and air conditioning
  • Electrical
  • Plumbing
  • Tree service
  • On-site appliance repair
  • Manufactured dwelling installations
  • Land development
  • Home inspections
  • Most other construction and repair services

       The following work Does Not require a license:

  • Gutter cleaning
  • Power/Pressure washing (siding, sidewalks, roofs, etc.)
  • Debris clean up (yard or construction site) (Note: If the work changes to include repairs, replacements or installs, a CCB license is required)

       Exemption from Licensure:(ORS 701.010[4]) A person working on one structure if:

  • The price of all the person’s work is under $1,000, and
  • The work is casual, minor or inconsequential in nature.
  • This exemption does not apply to a person who advertises in any way, including Craigslist, or any card, sign or device.

We report your completion to the State the next business day after you complete the course.  You will then need to wait three business days before PSI, the testing company, will allow you to schedule your exam.

The Oregon CCB is updating the licensing exam.
  • On Sept. 1, 2016, the pre-license test was based on a new manual, the NASCLA Contractors Guide to Business, Law and Project Management.
  • PSI Administers the test.
PSI Exams
3210 East Tropicana
Las Vegas, NV 89121
Phone:  1-800-733-9267
Website:  https://candidate.psiexams.com/index.jsp

Upon registering for your Exam Prep course, please make sure your information is correct and up to date. Once you complete your 16-hour Exam Prep course, we submit your completion to the CCB. The CCB will need your email address in order for registrants to receive information regarding the exam. For more information on the exam changes, please click here.

The forms and further information on licensing can be found on their website by clicking here.

The link will also have information pertaining to updating your license information and Lead Paint renovation applications.

Yes. The following CE hours are required for each two-year licensing period:


If you have been licensed less than six years and the responsible managing individual (RMI) has less than six years’ experience:

Subject Area

  • CCB Laws, Regulations, and Business Practices (LRB) 3 Hours
  • Series A courses (Construction business practices, safety, and building codes) 5 Hours
  • Series A courses (as above) or Series B courses (Trade practices and energy efficiency) 8 Hours

Total: 16 Hours

Subject Area

  • CCB Laws, Regulations, and Business Practices (LRB)  3 Hours
  • Series A courses (Construction business practices, safety, and codes) 5 Hours

Total: 8 Hours

Exempt from continuing education requirements 
If you have been licensed six or more years or your responsible managing individual has six or more years’ experience:

These contractors are not required to take continuing education:

    • Architects (if an owner is a licensed architect)
    • Developers
    • Engineers (if an owner or officer is a licensed engineer)
    • Electricians (if an owner, officer or employee is a licensed electrician)
    • Plumbers (if an owner, officer or employee is a licensed plumber)
    • Boiler contractors
    • Elevator contractors
    • Renewable energy contractor
    • Pump installation contractors
    • Limited sign contractors
    • Landscape contractors who are construction contractors
    • Home inspectors (must still complete continuing education for the home inspector certification but no longer for the CCB license)
    • Master builders (if actively licensed as such through the Building Codes Division)


Don’t wait until the last minute to complete classes

Many of the problems contractors report to us stem from waiting until the last minute to renew a license, and then discovering a problem with continuing education. For example:

    • Education requirements change. You may find out you need a class you haven’t taken or you misunderstood the requirement.
    • Providers who offer Series A courses must give us proof that you completed the class. They do that quickly, but it might take a day. If you wait until the day your license expires, you might not meet the deadline.


All CCB commercially endorsed contractors that renew a commercial CCB license. Training can be taken by any “key” employee of the business.

Commercial licenses have no Series A, B, or Law, Rules, and Business Practices requirements. Continuing education is not reported to the CCB. Licensees are required to keep proof of completing continuing education.

Commercial Contractor Level 1

    • 5 or more Key Employees = 80 Hours Required
    • 4 Key Employees = 64 Hours Required
    • 3 Key Employees = 48 Hours Required
    • 2 Key Employees = 32 Hours Required
    • 1 Key Employee = 16 Hours Required

For more information on requirements, please follow this link: http://www.oregon.gov/CCB/education/Pages/continuing-ed.aspx

Commercial Contractor Level 2

    • Any # of Key Employees = 32 Hours Required

If you are licensed for both commercial and residential work, you must fulfill the continuing education requirements for both the residential and commercial licenses. However, continuing education hours completed for the residential license also apply to the commercial requirements.

Oregon CCB licenses expire two years from the date the contractor was originally licensed.

Renewal is every 2 years. The CCB will mail out renewal forms 6 to 8 weeks prior to your expiration date.

Continuing education must be completed prior to renewing.

We submit your continuing education directly to the CCB under your CCB license number.

You will be asked to declare that you have taken the training on your next CCB license renewal. You should keep records of all continuing education taken by your “key” employees. (Note: CCB will not ask you to provide proof of continuing education at the time of renewal, except for your written promised (declaration) that you completed the continuing education required for your business.)

Yes – Commercial General Level 1 or Level 2 – You must renew every 2 years
Violations for working while unlicensed or working in the wrong classification can result in civil penalties of up to $5,000 per offense.
YES! When you pass the NASCLA Accredited Examination for Commercial General Building Contractors, you will be listed in the NASCLA National Examination Database. You will then have this information available for the following states which accept this NASCLA Accredited Examination: Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Louisianna, Mississippi, Nevada, North Carolina, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, US Virgin Islands, Virginia and West Virginia. You may also need to take each states’ specific business/law/project management exam in addition to the NASCLA exam.

Not for Residential Builders, at this time.  All out-of-state Residential Contractors must complete the training and pass the Oregon test.

  • Information Last Updated: 02/2020
  • Did you find incorrect information? Email Us
This was a great course. The instructor was very knowledgeable. *****
Anthony D.
Live Chat