First, you must obtain a license application from the Licensing Board.  You can do this by sending a check for $15 to the address below or downloading the application from the website below for a $13 charge.

Licensing Board for General Contractors
P.O. Box 17187
Raleigh NC 27619
Web site:
Phone: (919) 571-4183
Fax: (919) 571-4703

Submit the General Contractors License application and supporting documents to the North Carolina Board for General Contractors.  Applications must be received 30 days prior to any regularly scheduled meeting of the Board.  The meeting dates are also listed on the website above.

Here is the Residential Building Contractor exam content.  The State test through PSI contains 90 questions taken randomly from a pool of over 1,000 questions.  You will have 210 minutes and must get 70% or higher to pass.  Our course covers ALL areas thoroughly:

  • Site Work, Footings, and Foundations (12 questions)
  • Concrete and Concrete Reinforcements (10 questions)
  • Masonry (7 questions)
  • Carpentry (11 questions)
  • Associated Constructions Trades, Including Energy Conservation and Dry Wall (8 questions)
  • Roofing (6 questions)
  • Estimating, Plan Reading and General Residential Code Requirements (16 questions)
  • Osha Safety (4 questions)
  • Licensing and Business and Law (10 questions)
  • Special Construction Zones (wind and coastal) and Erosion and Sedimentation Control (6 questions)

Here is the Building Contractor exam content. The State test through PSI contains 90 questions taken randomly from a pool of over 1,000 questions.  You will have 180 minutes and must get 70% or higher to pass.Our course covers All areas thoroughly:

  • Sitework (6 questions)
  • Concrete (15 questions)’
  • Masonry (6 questions)
  • Metals (15 questions)
  • Carpentry (7 questions)
  • Roofing (6 questions)
  • Associated Trades (3 questions)
  • Business and law (7 questions)
  • Safety (4 questions)
  • Estimating, Plan reading and general Building Code Requirements (14 questions)
  • One Call (2 questions)
  • Erosion and Sedimentation Control (2 questions)
  • Licensing (2 questions)
  • Liens (1 question)

If the project costs $30,000 or more, you will need a license before submitting a bid.

The Residential Contractor license is for one and two family dwellings, whereas the Building Contractor license is for commercial, industrial, institutional and residential building.

No, there is not a separate Business and Law exam.  There is just one 90 question exam covering all topics listed above.  Even if you take the NASCLA-Accredited exam, you do not have to take a separate Business and Law exam for North Carolina.


Yes! When you pass the NASCLA Accredited Examination for Commercial General Building Contractors, you will be listed in the NASCLA National Examination Database. This NASCLA exam preparation course is for Commercial General Contractors and is accepted in AL, AR, GA, LA, MS, NV, NC, OR, SC, TN, UT, US Virgin Islands, VA, and WV. You may also need to take each states’ specific business/law/project management exam in addition to the NASCLA exam.



LIMITED – Up to $500,000.00 on any single project
INTERMEDIATE – Up to $1,000,000.00 on any single project
UNLIMITED – Not restricted as to the value of any single project


Public Utilities
 – (includes all of the above classifications)


A qualifying examination is not an occupational license and does not grant the holder of such examination the authority to practice general contracting. Individuals may be licensed by their personal examinations or the examination of a responsible managing employee. Partnerships and corporations are licensed by examination of a responsible managing officer or
member of the personnel of the applicant. If the qualifying party leaves, however, the licensee must replace the qualifying party within ninety (90) days or the license is canceled.

Licensees should not allow unlicensed persons, firms or corporations to use the general contractor’s license with the licensee’s permission. Although licensed general contractors may have an ownership interest in an unlicensed entity, the unlicensed contractor may not use a general contractor’s license for any reason. Violators of the general contractor laws
and regulations may be disciplined by the Licensing Board for General Contractors for allowing the use of a license by an unlicensed person or other entities. Appropriate sanctions may include suspension or revocation of license.

Licenses must be renewed annually by December 31 for the following year, or the license expires. If a license is not renewed within sixty (60) days following expiration, then it becomes “invalid,” and the contractor becomes, in effect, unlicensed. Reexamination is required if a license is not renewed for four (4) years following expiration. After a lapse of four years, no renewal shall be effected and all requirements for a new license must be fulfilled, in accordance with G.S. 87-10.

Information is continually added and updated. Please check back

I took the con ed class at Marquette on 3/14/14.  The class was very well done and informative.  I will recommend your school to all my associates.

Ken Smith from MI 3/17/14
Chat with us