Minnesota Builders Frequently Asked Questions:

Who needs a Minnesota Residential Building or Remodelers license?

All building contractors and remodelers who contract with a homeowner to construct or improve dwellings by offering more than one special skill must be licensed. Owners working on their own property must also be licensed if they build or remodel for the sole purpose of speculation or resale.

What are the steps in obtaining my Minnesota builders or remodelers license?
  • Step #1:  Pass both parts (Business/Law and Trades) of the Minnesota Contractor, Remodeler or Roofer License exams.

This is a 110 question test that includes Business and Trades questions.

  • Step #2:  Apply to the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry for a license.
  • Step #3: Get the proper insurance.

The Minnesota builders license exam is administered by the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry (DLI).  You can apply online or submit an application to CCLD (PDF) along with the required $50 exam application fee. The exam is offered at DLI’s offices in St. Paul as well as sites in Duluth, St. Cloud, Detroit Lakes, Granite Falls and Owatonna. Learn More

What can I expect from the state exam?

The exam consists of 110 multiple choice questions; 60 questions on construction and 50 questions on business/law. You must get at least 77 answers correct. Applicants are given four hours in which to complete the exam, which is divided into two sections; the first deals primarily with construction-related matters and the second covers issues relating to running a construction business. A copy of the State Building Code will be provided for reference during the exam.

Minnesota State Exam Guide:  http://www.dli.mn.gov/CCLD/PDF/exam_guide.pdf
More Info: Minnesota Prelicense Exam Details

What do I have to do to get my Minnesota contractors license?

You must obtain liability insurance coverage meeting the minimum statutory requirements. Also all applicants must provide evidence of compliance with Minnesota’s workers’ compensation insurance requirement. You may provide a certificate of insurance showing your business is covered by workers’ compensation insurance.

There are associated fees when first applying for and renewing your license. As of July 1, 2015, the state has lowered licensing fees. For more information, please click here for the state newsletter, or here for the licensing fee table.

Is contractor continued education required in Minnesota?


  • 14 hours of continuing education, including 1 hour of energy code have to be completed every 2 years.
  • The same CE course may not be taken twice in a licensing cycle.
  • Continued Education courses may not be completed on the same date.
  • Half of the builders and remodelers in Minnesota renew each year by March 31st.
  • There is no longer a lead paint requirement with the continued education.  That requirement changed to Energy Code several years ago.
  • NOTE:  The State of Minnesota will not allow you to take the same course twice within a 2 year cycle or complete 2 courses on the same date.  Please check your records or call us at 1-800-727-7104 if you cannot remember which course you have already taken.
How is the state notified when I complete my continuing education requirements?

We submit your continuing education directly to the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry using your qualified individual license, examples include QB123456 or QC987654.

How do I renew my Minnesota license?

Download a renewal packet and follow the instructions in the packet:   renewal forms packet

NOTE:  Our courses are also approved for Minnesota Manufactured Home Installers.

Can I take the same class twice and still receive credit for it?

You can take the same class again as long as it is in a different licensing cycle. Credit cannot be earned if the same course is taken again during the same licensing cycle.

Is the NASCLA Accredited Commercial Contractor license accepted in Minnesota?


Does Minnesota require a General contractor (commercial contractor) license?


Who do I contact at the state level for licensing questions?

Minnesota Residential Building Contractors

443 Layfayette Rd. North
St. Paul, MN 55155
(651) 284-5005
Website:  www.dli.mn.gov/main.asp

Information is continually added and updated. Please check back

Chat with us