Choose Your State and Get Started
How To Get A Louisiana Contractor License
How do I get my Louisiana Residential Contractor License?
There are two steps in getting licensed as residential or commercial building contractor in the State of Louisiana:
- Submit an application to the State Licensing Board for Contractors along with the supporting documents. You can obtain an application at the State web site: http://www.lslbc.louisiana.gov/default.htm
- Upon receipt of the application, the State Licensing Board for Contractors will send you an examination scheduling notice with the date of your exam. You will be required to pass a Business and Law exam and the Trade exam for the license you are seeking.
Any construction project of $50,000 or more ($1 or more for hazardous) must be performed by a licensed contractor, even the home owners themselves. There are no provisions in the law to prevent an owner from applying for and being issued a contractor’s license.
What type of work requires a residential contractor license?
The Residential Contractor license is required to build a fixed building or structure three stories or less where the cost is $75,000 or more and it is used by another as a residence, including duplexes, triplexes and fourplexes.
Are the Louisiana contractor exams open book?
No, it is a CLOSED BOOK exam. A Calculator will be provided for your use during examination.
The following is an outline of the subject areas (in descending order of weight) that will be covered in the exam:
- Rough Carpentry 26%
- Interior and Exterior Finish 20%
- Concrete and Rebar 19%
- Associated Trades 10%
- Excavation and Site Work 9%
- Roofing 6%
- Masonry 5%
- Plans and Specifications 5%
The examination is made up of 80 multiple-choice questions which are equally weighted. You will have four hours to complete this examination.
How can I study for the Louisiana contractor exams?
Builders License Training Institute offers online exam prep for the Business & Law, Residential Contractor, and NASCLA exams. Each program comes with a 100% money back guarantee if yo do not pass the exam on your first try. Once you register, you have up to 6 months to study before your course is deactivated. Courses are deactivated to ensure you are studying the most recent code. If you need longer, just give us a call and we can arrange an extension.