National Programs

Free Shipping

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Oregon Contractor 16-hour Exam Prep


Oregon Contractor 16-hour Online Exam Prep Course

This course is fully narrated with printable text. It contains everything you need to know to PASS the licensing exam to become a Contractor for the State of Oregon. You have the option of studying by reading the text or sit back and have the course read to you.

IMPORTANT:  The State of Oregon requires all contractors to own a copy of the NASCLA Contractors Guide to Business, Law and Project Management 1st Edition. Much of this course is based on this reference material.


Course Syllabus

Price: $89.00
Oregon Contractor 16-hour Online Exam Prep Course/Book Package

Package contains the fully narrated course and the Oregon Contractors Reference Manual.

  • Oregon Contractor Online Exam Prep Course (fully narrated)
  • NASCLA Contractors Guide to Business, Law and Project Management 1st Edition + Tabs


Course Syllabus

Price: $159.00
Reference Book
OR front coverNASCLA Contractors Guide to Business, Law and Project Management 1st Edition + Preprinted Tabs

This book is required by the CCB as a Prelicensure reference.

Price: $90.00
Price: $7.00


Frequently Asked Questions

Who needs an Oregon Contractor License?

Oregon law requires anyone who works for compensation (except bona fide employees) in any construction activity involving improvements to real property to be licensed with the Oregon Construction Contractors Board (CCB)

You must be licensed to do the following work:

  • Roofing
  • Siding
  • Painting
  • Carpentry
  • Floor covering
  • Concrete
  • Heating and air conditioning
  • Electrical
  • Plumbing
  • Tree service
  • On-site appliance repair
  • Manufactured dwelling installations
  • Land development
  • Home inspections
  • Most other construction and repair services


You do not need a contractor license to do:

  • Gutter cleaning
  • Power/Pressure washing (siding, sidewalks, roofs, etc.)
  • Debris clean up (yard or construction site) (Note: If the work changes to include repairs, replacements or installs, a CCB license is required)

       Exemption from Licensure:(ORS 701.010[4])  A person working on one structure if:

  • The price of all the person’s work is under $1,000, and
  • The work is casual, minor or inconsequential in nature.
  • This exemption does not apply to a person who advertises in any way, including Craigslist, or any card, sign or device.


How do I get my contractor license in Oregon?

To become a licensed contractor in Oregon you must:

  1. Complete the prerequisite training (must apply within 24 months of completing training)
    and pass CCB’s statewide test
  2. File your assumed business name, corporation or LLC at the Oregon Corporation Division
  3. Obtain and submit a CCB surety bond in the required amount(s).
  4. Obtain and provide proof of general liability insurance in the required amount.
  5. Provide evidence of worker’s compensation and other employer account numbers if applicable.
  6. Apply for and get the State BIN (Business Identification Number) number from the
    Oregon Dept. of Revenue and write it on the application.
  7. Apply for and get the Federal EIN from the IRS.  Do not substitute a Social Security Number
    for the EIN number.
  8. Submit a completed CCB application with the $325 fee for two years.

Application can be obtained from:

Oregon Construction Contractors Board
P.O. Box 14140
Salem, OR  97309

Phone:  (503) 378-4621

There are three License Endorsements:  Residential, Commercial, and both Residential & Commercial.  Once you’ve selected an endorsement, you will need to select a classification (list with descriptions on application).


Where can I obtain my application forms for Oregon CCB licensing?

The forms and further information on licensing can be found on their website by clicking here.

The link will also have information pertaining to updating your license information and Lead Paint renovation applications.


Will an Oregon Contractor License allow me to build Commercial projects also?

Residential builders may work on Small Commercial projects.   Small Commercial is defined as:

  • Interior dimensions of the structure is 10,000 square feet or less and 10 feet in height or less, or
  • The total project amount is $250,000 or less

A Commercial Endorsement will be needed if your project is larger than the Small Commercial criteria:

  • Commercial Endorsement with no employees:
    – Obtain a commercial bond
    – Obtain Personal Election Workers Comp Policy
  • Commercial Endorsement with employees:
    – Obtain a commercial bond
    – Fee $20
    – Workers Comp Policy will already be in effect (with employees)

Detailed questions may be directed to the CCB at 503-378-4621.

Are there any Education, Exam or Experience requirements to get my Oregon Contractors License?

Yes.  All license applicants must have one Responsible Managing Individual (RMI) who is responsible for either completing the minimum of 16-hours of training from CCB approved training providers and passing the Oregon state CCB test or for proving he/she is not required to take the training and test by documentation of having the qualifying experience.  Once the RMI has completed the training, the training provider will send training completion information to the PSI, the testing agency.  The RMI must also pass an exam given by PSI Exams.  Cost to take the exam is $60.  Direct any questions about the exam to PSI Exams at: 1-800-733-9267 or


How long does it take to complete the Oregon Contractor Exam Prep course?

  • This is a 16-hour course, however, we highly recommend that you not put a time limit on how long it takes.  Continue to review the material until you feel confident that you know it thoroughly.  Become familiar with the Oregon Contractors Reference Manual as well.
  • Once you register, you have up to 6 months before your course is deactivated.  If you need longer, just give us a call and we can arrange an extension.

The Oregon CCB is updating the licensing exam. What other changes are happening with the exam?

  •  PSI exams will be administering and registering students for the exam. To contact or register with PSI:
PSI Exams
3210 East Tropicana
Las Vegas, NV 89121
Phone:  1-800-733-9267

Upon registering for your Exam Prep course, please make sure your information is correct and up to date. Once you complete your 16-hour Exam Prep course, we submit your completion to the CCB. The CCB will need your email address in order for registrants to receive information regarding the exam. For more information, please click here.


Is contractor continuing education required in Oregon?

Yes – Commercial contractors are required to complete 16 hours of continuing education prior to renewal for each two-year licensing cycle.  This law became effective October 1, 2011.

Five hours must be in mandatory subject areas

    • 2 hours of Building Code
    • 3 hours of CCB’s Laws, Regulations, and Business Practices (Only offered by the State of Oregon)

Eleven hours Discretionary Electives of your choice

Choose from our list video and fully narrated courses at


Does Oregon require a General Contractor (commercial contractor) License?

Yes – Commercial General Level 1 or Level 2 – Renew every 2 years


What are the penalties for working while not licensed?

Violations for working while not licensed or working in the wrong classification can result in civil penalties of up to $5,000 per offense.


Reciprocity with other states?

No, not at this time.  All out-of-state contractors must complete the training and pass the Oregon test.


Online Education Guarantee
AIA Continuing Education
Better Business A+ Rating
Online Education ICC Members
Members of TC Chamber of Commerce
Licensed Michigan Proprietary School


Verified Continuing Education
Members of North American Home Builders Association
Members of International Code Council
Members of the International Distance Education Code Council
Members of the Environmental Protection Association
Members of the Grand Traverse Home Builders Association


Site Map | Privacy and Refund Policy | Clear Cache

Copyright © 2017 Builders License Training Institute, 3135 Logan Valley Rd., Traverse City, MI 49684