National Programs

Free Shipping

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Fast, Easy and Affordable

100% State Approved

Come and go as you please

Courses Won't Let You Fail

Oregon Contractor Exam Prep and CCB Courses

Oregon Contractor Exam Prep Online Courses, Oregon Contractor Continuing Education Online Courses

Our Oregon Contractor exam prep and continued education courses are easy to use and understand. You have immediate access from any computer or mobile device and can come and go as you please.  You are guided through every step and the course keeps track of what you’ve completed.  All of our courses come with instructor support and a 100% Money Back Guarantee.

Important: The Oregon CCB has updated the Contractor exam as of May 1, 2015. Not only have they transitioned to the 11th Edition of the Contractor Reference Manual, the CCB has also changed the company from Prometric to PSI for the company that administers the exam.  For more information, please click here.


Contractor Exam Prep

16-hour course with
Printable Text


100% Guaranteed
Pass that Test on the first try or
get your money back
(click here for more information)

Continued Education

Series A and Series B
Courses Now Available


New Requirements
Started 1/1/14


Frequently Asked Questions


How do I get my Oregon Contractor License?

To become a licensed contractor in Oregon you must:

  1. Complete a State-approved 16-hour exam prep training course.
  2. Register and pass the Construction Contractors Board’s statewide test.
  3. File your assumed business name, corporation or LLC at the Oregon Corporation Division
  4. Obtain and submit a CCB surety bond in the required amount.
  5. Obtain and provide proof of general liability insurance in the required amount.
  6. Provide evidence of worker’s compensation and other employer account numbers if applicable.
  7. Apply for and get the State BIN (Business Identification Number) number from the Oregon Dept. of Revenue and write it on the application.
  8. Apply for and get the Federal EIN from the IRS.  Do not substitute a Social Security Number for the EIN number.
  9. Apply for your license with the CCB by submitting an application with the $325 fee for two years. You must apply for your license within 24 months of passing the State Exam.  Applications can be obtained from:
Oregon Construction Contractors Board
P.O. Box 14140
Salem, OR  97309
Phone:  (503) 378-4621
Forms and fees:

There are three License Endorsements:  Residential, Commercial, and a combination of Residential & Commercial.  Once you’ve selected an endorsement, you will need to select a classification (list with descriptions on application).


Are your courses approved by the Oregon CCB for Exam Prep and Continuing Education?

Yes!   (Oregon Provider ID #2772 )

Oregon’s Construction Contractor Licensing Act requires any “person” that is engaged for compensation in any construction activity involving improvements to real estate to be licensed with the Oregon Construction Contractors Board (CCB).  A license is required for any “person” that advertises, offers, bids or arranges to do, or actually does any construction, alteration, remodeling, or repair involving residential, commercial, industrial, or public works improvements.  Inspection services, tree services, chimney sweep businesses and developers who build structures with the intent to sell are also required to become licensed.  A CCB license is also required for those who purchase homes, fix them up themselves and resell them and for material suppliers that receive compensation for installing or arranging the installation of the materials.

Plumbers and electricians require a license with the Building Codes Division (BCD) and a business license with the Construction Contractors Board.  Landscape contractors and Landscape businesses require a license with the Oregon Landscape Contractors Board (LCB).


Are there any Education, Exam or Experience requirements to get my Oregon Contractors License?

Yes.  All license applicants must have one Responsible Managing Individual (RMI) who is responsible for either completing the minimum of 16-hours of training from CCB approved training providers and passing the Oregon state CCB test or for proving he/she is not required to take the training and test by documentation of having the qualifying experience.  Once the RMI has completed the training, the training provider will send training completion information to the PSI, the testing agency.  The RMI must also pass an exam given by PSI Exams.  Cost to take the exam is $60.  Direct any questions about the exam to PSI Exams at: 1-800-733-9267 or


Who needs an Oregon Contractor License?

Oregon law requires anyone who works for compensation (except bona fide employees) in any construction activity involving improvements to real property to be licensed with the Oregon Construction Contractors Board (CCB)

       Some examples include:

  • Roofing
  • Siding
  • Painting
  • Carpentry
  • Floor covering
  • Concrete
  • Heating and air conditioning
  • Electrical
  • Plumbing
  • Tree service
  • On-site appliance repair
  • Manufactured dwelling installations
  • Land development
  • Home inspections
  • Most other construction and repair services

       The following work Does Not require a license:

  • Gutter cleaning
  • Power/Pressure washing (siding, sidewalks, roofs, etc.)
  • Debris clean up (yard or construction site) (Note: If the work changes to include repairs, replacements or installs, a CCB license is required)

       Exemption from Licensure:(ORS 701.010[4]) A person working on one structure if:

  • The price of all the person’s work is under $500, and
  • The work is casual, minor or inconsequential in nature.
  • This exemption does not apply to a person who advertises in any way, including Craigslist, or any card, sign or device.


Once I complete my 16-hour prelicensure training, how long do I have to wait to take the exam?

We report your completion to the State the next business day after you complete the course.  You will then need to wait three business days before PSI, the testing company, will allow you to schedule your exam.

The Oregon CCB is updating the licensing exam. What other changes are happening with the exam?

The Oregon CCB Contractors exam went through a transition period in Spring 2015:

  • April 7, 2015 — The exam was moved to the 11th Edition of the Oregon Contractor Reference Manual. The 10th edition will no longer be allowed into the exam after April 7th.
  • May 1, 2015 — The exam no longer is taken through Prometric. PSI exams will be administering and registering students for the exam. To contact or register with PSI:
PSI Exams
3210 East Tropicana
Las Vegas, NV 89121
Phone:  1-800-733-9267

Upon registering for your Exam Prep course, please make sure your information is correct and up to date. Once you complete your 16-hour Exam Prep course, we submit your completion to the CCB. The CCB will need your email address in order for registrants to receive information regarding the exam. For more information on the exam changes, please click here.


Where can I obtain my application forms for Oregon CCB licensing?

The forms and further information on licensing can be found on their website by clicking here.

The link will also have information pertaining to updating your license information and Lead Paint renovation apllications.


Is contractor continued education required in Oregon?

Yes. The following CE hours are required for each two-year licensing period:


If you have been licensed less than six years and the responsible managing individual (RMI) has less than six years’ experience:

Subject Area Hours
CCB Laws, Regulations, and Business Practices (LRB) 3
Series A courses (Construction business practices, safety and building codes) 5
Series A courses (as above) or Series B courses (Trade practices and energy efficiency) 8
Total 16

If you have been licensed six or more years or your responsible managing individual has six or more years’ experience:

Subject Area Hours
CCB Laws, Regulations, and Business Practices (LRB) 3
Series A courses (Construction business practices, safety and codes) 5
Total 8


Exempt from continuing education requirements

These contractors are not required to take continuing education:

    • Residential developers
    • Plumbing contractors and electrical contractors with active licenses issued by the Building Codes Division
    • Contractors that are owned by, or have an officer who is a registered architect or a licensed professional engineer


Applying old courses to new requirements

You may count classes completed after your last renewal and before Jan. 1, 2014, to the new requirements. For example:

    • The state’s Laws, Regulations and Business Practices class carries forward.
    • Building Exterior Shell Training (BEST) and building codes classes count toward Series A course requirements
    • Electives you took in the past substitute for Series B classes.


Other renewal situations

Contractors in these situations have different education requirements:

    • You are renewing a license that expired before Jan. 1, 2014
    • Your license expired between Oct. 1, 2013, and Dec. 31, 2013
    • Your license expired before Oct. 1, 2013


Don’t wait until the last minute to complete classes

Many of the problems contractors report to us stem from waiting until the last minute to renew a license, and then discovering a problem with continuing education. For example:

    • Education requirements change. You may find out you need a class you haven’t taken or you misunderstood the requirement.
    • Providers who offer Series A courses must give us proof that you completed the class. They do that quickly, but it might take a day. If you wait until the day your license expires, you might not meet the deadline.



All CCB commercially endorsed contractors that renew a commercial CCB license. Training can be taken by any “key” employee of the business. Commercial Contractor CE is now  part of the requirements for continued licensing with the CCB.

Commercial licenses have no Series A, B, or Law, Rules, and Business Practices requirements. Continuing education is not reported to the CCB. Licensee’s are required to keep proof of completing continuing education.

Commercial Contractor Level 1

All Electives:

    • 5 or more Key Employees = 80 Hours Required
    • 4 Key Employees = 64 Hours Required
    • 3 Key Employees = 48 Hours Required
    • 2 Key Employees = 32 Hours Required
    • 1 Key Employee = 16 Hours Required

Commercial Contractor Level 1 and Residential

Five hours must be in mandatory subject areas:

    • 2 hours of Building Codes courses
    • 3 hours of CCB’s Laws, Regulations and Business Practices (LRB)   (*Offered by the State of Oregon Only)

Plus Electives as follows:

    • 5 or more Key Employees = 75 Hours Required
    • 4 Key Employees = 59 Hours Required
    • 3 Key Employees = 43 Hours Required
    • 2 Key Employees = 27 Hours Required
    • 1 Key Employee = 11 Hours Required

Commercial Contractor Level 2

All Electives:

    • Any # of Key Employees = 32 Hours Required

Commercial Contractor Level 2 and Residential

    • Any # of Key Employees:

Mandatory: Five hours must be in the following subject areas: 

    • 2 hours of Building Codes courses
    • 3 hours of CCB’s Laws, Regulations and Business Practices (LRB)  (*Offered by the State of Oregon Only)

Electives: 27 hours are in discretionary subjects.

I am licensed as both a Commercial and Residential contractor, what are my continuing education requirements?

If you are licensed for both commercial and residential work, you must fulfill the continuing education requirements for both the residential and commercial licenses. However, continuing education hours taken for the residential license also apply to the commercial requirements.


When does my Oregon CCB license expire? How often do I renew my CCB license?

Oregon CCB licenses expire two years from the date the contractor was originally licensed.

Renewal is every 2 years. The CCB will mail out renewal forms 6 to 8 weeks prior to the licensee’s expiration date.

Continuing education must be completed prior to renewing. To check what your individual continuing education requirements are, please visit the CCB’s Residential Education Requirements Estimator.


How does the CCB get notified of my continued education completion?

We submit your continuing education directly to the CCB under your CCB license number.

You will be asked to declare that  you have taken the training on your next CCB license renewal. You should keep records of all continuing education taken by your “key” employees. (Note: CCB will not ask you to provide proof of continuing education at the time of renewal, except for your written, promised (declaration) that you completed the continuing education required for your business.)


Are your Continued Education courses approved by the State of Oregon?

Click Here to view Oregon Series A Course State Approval Notices

Click Here to view Oregon Series B Course State Approval Notices

Does Oregon require a General Contractor License for commercial work?

Yes – Commercial General Level 1 or Level 2 -  You must renew every 2 years


What are the penalties for working while not licensed?

Violations for working while not licensed or working in the wrong classification can result in
civil penalties of up to $5,000 per offense.


Is the NASCLA Accredited Commercial Contractor license accepted in Oregon?



Does Oregon have reciprocity with other states?

No, not at this time.  All out-of-state contractors must complete the training and pass the Oregon test.

Online Education Guarantee
AIA Continuing Education
Better Business A+ Rating
Online Education ICC Members
Members of TC Chamber of Commerce
Licensed Michigan Proprietary School


Verified Continuing Education
Members of North American Home Builders Association
Members of International Code Council
Members of the International Distance Education Code Council
Members of the Environmental Protection Association
Members of the Grand Traverse Home Builders Association


Site Map | Privacy and Refund Policy | Clear Cache

Copyright © 2016 Builders License Training Institute, 5112 US 31 North, Williamsburg, MI 49690