National Programs

Free Shipping

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Minnesota Building and Remodeling Business/Law exam course

We are proud to present an online study course that will prepare you to PASS the Business/Law and Trades portion of the Minnesota Building Contractor or Remodeler License exam.  This course is designed specifically for the State of Minnesota and is continually reviewed and updated so you always have the most up-to-date information available.

Applicants must take both parts at the same time; the exam fee is $51.  There is a waiting period before applicants will be able to re-take the exam.  All of these topics are covered thoroughly in our exam prep video course.

Once you purchase the course, you have immediate access and can come and go as you please. The course is not timed and can be taken from any computer or mobile device.  All of our programs are builder-friendly, easy to use and come with a 100% Money Back Guarantee.

Minnesota Building and Remodeling Online Exam Prep Course

This course will prepare you for Both the Business/Law and Trades portion.
You are also required to pass a Trades exam for the license you are seeking.


Price: $149.00



The Department of Labor and Industry licenses residential building contractors, remodelers, roofers and manufactured home installers. The department requires certain standards of education and professional conduct be maintained to obtain and retain a license.

Licenses are required for all residential building contractors and residential remodelers who contract with a homeowner to construct or improve dwellings by offering more than one special skill. Owners working on their own property must also be licensed if they build or remodel for the sole purpose of speculation or resale.

All residential building contractors and residential remodelers who contract with an owner to construct or improve dwellings for habitation by one to four families (including detached garages) and perform two or more special skills must be licensed unless exempt under one of the provisions noted below. Roofing requires a separate license.

The licensing requirement also applies to any person acting as a “spec” homebuilder. The only difference between a residential building contractor and residential remodeler is a residential building contractor can build new homes and work on existing structures, whereas a remodeler can only work on existing structures.

How do I get my contractor license in Minnesota?

Successfully pass the Trade and Business/Law sections of the exam.

IMPORTANT CHANGE: Minnesota DLI will offer prelicensing exam

Beginning Jan. 2, 2013, the prelicensing exam will be administered by DLI. There are no prerequisite experience or educational requirements to take the residential building contractor or remodeler exam. You can apply online or submit an application to CCLD (PDF) along with the required $51 exam application fee. The exam is offered at DLI’s offices in St. Paul as well as sites in Duluth, St. Cloud, Detroit Lakes, Granite Falls and Owatonna.

After passing the exam you must apply to the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry for a license.


About the State Exam:

The exam consists of 110 multiple choice questions; 60 questions on construction and 50 questions on business/law. You must get at least 77 answers correct. Applicants are given four hours in which to complete the exam, which is divided into two sections; the first deals primarily with construction-related matters and the second covers issues relating to running a construction business. A copy of the State Building Code will be provided for reference during the exam.

More Info: Minnesota Prelicense Exam Details


What do I have to do to get my Minnesota contractors license?

You must obtain liability insurance coverage meeting the minimum statutory requirements. Also all applicants must provide evidence of compliance with Minnesota’s workers’ compensation insurance requirement. You may provide a certificate of insurance showing your business is covered by workers’ compensation insurance.

Is contractor continued education required in Minnesota?


14 hours of continuing education, including 1 hour of energy have to be completed every 2 years.

Minnesota Residential Building Contractors
443 Layfayette Rd. North
St. Paul, MN 55155


Is the NASCLA Accredited Commercial Contractor license accepted in Minnesota?  


Does Minnesota require a General contractor (commercial contractor) license?


Information is continually added and updated.  Please check back.



214,162 Courses Taken

Because we care, $1 of every course purchase during October will be donated to the
Hurricane Irma Recovery Fund. Your support will help teachers rebuild and restock classroom materials
like books, furniture, classroom supplies, technology, and therapy resources.
To learn more about how this fund is helping schools click here.

Online Education Guarantee
AIA Continuing Education
Builders License Training Institute, Training Programs, Traverse City, MI
Online Education ICC Members
Members of TC Chamber of Commerce
Licensed Michigan Proprietary School


Verified Continuing Education
Members of North American Home Builders Association
Members of International Code Council
Members of the International Distance Education Code Council
Members of the Environmental Protection Association
Members of the Grand Traverse Home Builders Association


Site Map | Privacy and Refund Policy | Clear Cache

Copyright © 2017 Builders License Training Institute, 3135 Logan Valley Rd., Traverse City, MI 49684