Fast, Easy and Affordable
Study at Your Own Pace 24/7
100% Money Back Guarantee
|“I passed the qualifying builders exam for MN. Great Course. I went through the whole test without looking up anything. I passed with a 92% score. I am definitely going to use your courses for continuing education.” Thanks! Troy from Crystal, MN|
|“Your online course was better than any class I have ever been to!!!” Mike from Aitkin|
100% Money Back Guarantee — Pass on your first try
or Get Your Money Back!
All of our courses are easy to use and understand. You have immediate access
from any computer or mobile device and can come and go as you please.
The program guides you through every step and keeps track of what is completed for you, although you are free to go through the course as many times as you want. All of our courses come with a toll free “Ask the Instructor” hotline and a 100% Money Back Guarantee. Plus, FREE Online Marketing for Contractors Video Series
Frequently Asked Questions
Effective January 2, 2013, the prelicensing exam to get your building contractor, remodeler or roofing license will be administered by the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry (DLI). You can apply online or submit an application to CCLD (PDF) along with the required $50 exam application fee. The exam is offered at DLI’s offices in St. Paul as well as sites in Duluth, St. Cloud, Detroit Lakes, Granite Falls and Owatonna. Learn More
Who needs a Minnesota Residential Building or Remodelers license?
All building contractors and remodelers who contract with a homeowner to construct or improve dwellings by offering more than one special skill must be licensed. Owners working on their own property must also be licensed if they build or remodel for the sole purpose of speculation or resale.
What are the steps in obtaining my Minnesota builders or remodelers license?
- Step #1: Pass both parts (Business/Law and Trades) of the Minnesota Contractor, Remodeler or Roofer License exams. Starting January 1st, 2013, there will be a 110 question test that includes Business and Trades questions.
- Step #2: Apply to the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry for a license.
- Step #3: Get the proper insurance.
Is contractor continued education required in Minnesota?
- 14 hours of continuing education, including 1 hour of energy code have to be completed every 2 years.
- The same CE course may not be taken twice in a licensing cycle.
- Continued Ed courses may not be completed on the same date.
- Half of the builders and remodelers in Minnesota renew each year by March 31st.
- There is no longer a lead paint requirement with the continued education. That requirement changed to Energy Code several years ago.
- NOTE: The State of Minnesota will not allow you to take the same course twice within a 2 year cycle or complete 2 courses on the same date. Please check your records or call us at 1-800-727-7104 if you cannot remember which course you have already taken.
Minnesota Residential Building Contractors
443 Layfayette Rd. North
St. Paul, MN 55155
How do I renew my license?
Download a renewal packet and follow the instructions in the packet: renewal forms packet
NOTE: Our courses are also approved for Minnesota Manufactured Home Installers.
Click here to view the MN APPROVAL LETTER - Construction Safety
Click here to view the MN APPROVAL LETTER - Project Management
Click here to view the MN APPROVAL LETTER - Online Video Code and Energy Efficient Building
Click here to view the MN APPROVAL LETTER – Online Video Weatherization and Renewable Energy
Click here to view the MN APPROVAL LETTER - Business Practices for MN Contractors including Energy Code
Can I take the same class twice and still get credit for it?
You can take the same class again as long as it is in a different licensing cycle. Credit cannot be earned if the same course is taken again during the same licensing cycle.