Wisconsin State Licensing Requirements

Starting January 1, 2008, Wisconsin dwelling contractors must hold or employ someone who holds a Dwelling Contractor Qualifier Certification in order to obtain one- or two-family dwelling building permits. In order to obtain this certification, you must complete a 12-hour initial qualifier course that has been approved by the Wisconsin Safety and Buildings Division.

Also, after you obtain the Certification, you must complete an approved 12-hour Continued Education Course during each two-year period in order to remain certified. The 12-hour Continued Education must be completed 90 days before your 2yr expiration date or penalties will apply.

We are proud to present the fastest and easiest methods to complete either of these two certifications. Our courses are easy to understand, and you will learn a great deal on each topic we provide while enjoying the builder-friendly format. Whether you select the 120-question or 280-question course, you will be guided right to the answers with our easy to understand style of education.

After you have completed the course, or had someone in your company complete the course, you will need to apply to the Safety and Buildings Division to obtain the Dwelling Contractor Qualifier Certification. We will provide the application with your quiz results. You will need to provide evidence that the person that completed the course complies with the various state requirements.

You can obtain a description of these requirements at http://www.commerce.state.wi.us/SB/SB-DivCreds.html

[php function=2]

How do I get my contractor license in Wisconsin?

  1. Complete an approved 12 Hour Qualifier Course. CLICK HERE to see what courses are available!
  2. Obtain your Wisconsin license application

CLICK HERE to obtain your APPLICATIONS. Choose the Dwelling Contractor (for the Business) and Dwelling Contractor Qualifier (for the Individual) applications. You will need to complete both applications.

  • Or the application links are included in our 12 Hour Courses
  • Or contact the State of Wisconsin:
State of Wisconsin Department of Safety and
Professional Services Safety and Buildings Division
1400 East Washington Ave
Madison 53703.

Email: DspsSbCredentialing@wi.gov
Phone: 608-261-8467, 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Central Time, Monday thru Friday
Fax: 608-267-0592


How long does it take to complete the course?

  • The Wisconsin Initial Dwelling Contractor Qualifier Certification courses take 12 hours.

Once you register, you have up to 6 months before your course is deactivated.  If you need longer, just give us a call and we can arrange an extension.


Is contractor continued education required in Wisconsin?

Yes. Anyone renewing any Dwelling Contractor Qualifier Certification will need to complete 12 approved continuing education hours during the two-year education cycle that parallels the two-year term of the certification. Our Continued Education course qualifies for this certification.  The 12-hour Continued Education must be completed 90 days before your 2 year expiration date or penalties will apply.

Wisconsin Renewal Basics

Wisconsin sends out a renewal notice 4-6 weeks before your renewal date (which is 3 months prior to your expiration date.)

  • Cards are sent to those who already completed their CE .
  • Paper renewals are sent to those who still need to complete their CE.
  • When all requirements are met, all renewals are mailed a license number and a new license expiration date.

On Time Renewal Fees

  • Dwelling Contractors (Business) $25 for 1 year
  • Dwelling Contractor Qualifier (Individual) with CE completed $30 for 2 years.

Late Renewals

  • Dwelling Contractor Qualifier with CE completed renewing during 90 days preceding  expiration $30 renewal + $25 late fee = $55
  • Other fees apply for later renewals.  

Is the NASCLA Accredited Commercial Contractor license accepted in Wisconsin? 


Information is continually added and updated.  Please check back.