Delaware State Licensing Requirements

Any person desiring to engage in business as either a contractor (any person engaged in the business of furnishing labor and materials in connection with all or any part of the construction, alteration, repairing, dismantling or demolition of buildings, roads, bridges, viaducts, sewers. water and gas mains and every other type of structure as an improvement, alteration or development of real property) or subcontractor (any person, partnership, firm, corporation or other business entity which enters into a contract directly with a prime contractor or other subcontractor) in the State of Delaware, whether such person is a resident or non-resident of Delaware, must obtain a license from the Division of Revenue.

[php function=2]

How do I get my contractor license in Delaware?

Any contractor conducting business activity in Delaware is required to register with and obtain a business license from the Delaware Division of Revenue.

Send a completed application along with documenting compliance with the bonding requirements, unemployment and workers compensation insurance and the license fee.  All forms are included in the Residents Contractors Package which is available on the State of Delaware website.  Out of state contractors need to use the Non-Resident Contractors Package.

Department of Finance; Division of Revenue
Carvel State Building
820 North French Street
Wilmington, DE  19801
(302) 577-8778

Are there any Education, Exam or Experience requirements to get my Delaware Contractors License?

No, not at this time.  However, Asbestos Abatement Certification requires licensing and training.

Is contractor continued education required in Delaware?

No, not at this time.  Licenses expire on December 31st of each year and are renewed for a one-year period for $75.

Is the NASCLA Accredited Commercial Contractor license accepted in Delaware?


Does Delaware require a General contractor (commercial contractor) license?


Reciprocity with other states?

No.  Out-of-state corporations doing business in Delaware must register with the Delaware Secretary of State.

Information is continually added and updated.  Please check back.