Arizona State Licensing Requirements

Arizona law requires any business which contracts or offers to contract to build, alter, repair, add to, subtract from, improve, move, wreck or demolish any building, highway, road, railroad, excavation or other structure, development or improvement, or to do any part of the work must be a licensed contractor.  The following also requires a license:  erection of scaffolding, connections to utility service lines, mechanical or structural service to a structure or improvement and any other work in connection with the project.

[php function=2]

 How do I get my contractor license in Arizona?

Obtain an application for a contractor’s license and an application for examination from any office of the Arizona Registrar of Contractors, or download the Contractors License Application Package from:

Arizona Registrar of Contractors 
1700 West Washington St. Suite 105
Phoenix, AZ  85007-2812
(602) 542-1525

The following must be submitted along with the application:

1.  Original examination score (See PSI Candidate Information Bulletin for instructions to register for exams and answers to commonly asked questions)
2.  Experience Record Form
3.  All license fees and Recovery Fund fees (if applicable)
4.  A license bond must be provided with the license application. The amount of the bond required depends upon the classification of license and you anticipated gross volume of business.
5.  Your Arizona Transaction Privilege Tax Number must be included with the license application.
6.  Financial Statement
7.  Proof of Workers Compensation Insurance

Information on License Classification Requirements, License fees, Experience Record form, obtaining a surety bond and Arizona Transaction Privilege Tax Number, instructions, links and answers to many questions can be found on the application which can be downloaded from the Arizona website at:

Are there any education, exam or experience requirements to get my Arizona Contractors License?


All candidates are required to take and pass a Business Management Examination which contains questions on state and federal laws and the management of construction projects , business and financial management.  Some license classifications also require passing a trade exam.  All testing requirements  must be completed before submitting your application.  Information on individual trade exams may be found at: (800) 733-9267. The PSI Candidate Information Bulletin (PFD) contains instructions to register for exams and answers to commonly asked questions.  Your original examination score report must be submitted with the License Application.

Credit is given for experience as a journeyman, foreman, supervising employee or contractor.  Contracting experience will also be considered from currently licensed Arizona Contractors, formerly licensed contractors and official personnel. Refer to form: License Classification Requirements RC-L-206B to determine License Classification experience and testing requirements

How long does it take to complete the course?

  • Each of these courses take approximately 8-hours, but we move rapidly through the materials.  For a thorough review, you may want to allow twice that amount of time.

Once you register, you have up to 6 months before your course is deactivated.  If you need longer, just give us a call so we can arrange an extension.

Is contractor continued education required in Arizona?

 A license is issued for two years and must be renewed biennially. No Continued education is required at this time.

Is the NASCLA Accredited Commercial Contractor license accepted in Arizona?


Does Arizona require a General contractor (commercial contractor) license?


Reciprocity with other States?

Arizona has entered into a reciprocity agreement with California, Nevada, and Utah. Under the agreement, Arizona can accept the licensing qualifications of these states.  Applicants will be required to pass the Arizona Business Management examination and complete all other requirements for licensing in Arizona.

Arizona does not recognize contractor’s license issued by other states. However, if you have trade experience or a contractor’s license from another state, this experience may be acceptable to qualify for a license in Arizona which you must apply for with the Arizona Registrar of Contractors.

 Information is continually added and updated.  Please check back.