Alaska State Licensing Requirements

Alaska state law requires all General contractors to be licensed.  Anyone who performs mostly commercial work and residential remodel work of less than 25% of the value of the structure must have a General Contractor without Residential Contractor Endorsement (which doesn’t require an exam). Go to and download application form #08-4027.

However, anyone who performs new home construction, commercial work, and residential remodel work of more than 25% of the value of the home or structure being altered is required to have a General Contractor License with Residential Contractor Endorsement

[php function=2]

How do I get my General Contractor with Residential Endorsement in Alaska?   

Get a Residential Contractor Endorsement Application form 08-4161 from:

Department of Commerce, Community and Economic Development
Division of Occupational Licensing; Contractors Registration Section
PO Box 110806
Juneau, AK  99811-0806
907-465-3035 (Co. name A-K); 907-465-5372 (Co. name L-Z)
Fax:  907-465-2974

 Construction contractors must also obtain an Alaska Business License which is issued separately ($200)

Are there any education, exam or experience requirements to get my Alaska Contractors License with Residential Endorsement?

Yes – before submitting your application for General Contractor with Residential Endorsement, all individuals must:

1.  Successfully complete the Alaska Craftsman Home Program (ACHP) or it’s equivalent or a post secondary course in arctic engineering, or its equivalent within 2 years.

2.  Schedule an exam with PSI Examination Services:  1-800-727-7204.  Exams are given in Anchorage, Fairbanks and Juneau.  You do not need approval from the State of Alaska to take the examination.  Examination results are valid for 1 year.

After passing the residential endorsement examination, the following items are required before the residential endorsement can be issued:

     1.  Signed and notarized residential contractor endorsement application
     2.  $250 application and registration fee
     3.  Copy of official examination result issued by testing provider
     4.  Proof of completion of the Alaska Craftsman Home Program or its equivalent, or a post secondary course in arctic engineering,   or its equivalent within two years preceding the date of application.   
      5.  Name of currently licensed general contractor and contractor license number for which the residential contractor endorsement will be assigned to. 

How long does it take to complete the course?

  • All our Alaska Continued Education courses are 8-hours however, you do not have to complete them in one sitting.  You can work on them at your convenience 24/7 and complete as much or as little as you wish at one time.  When you are finished, you will be able to print a Certificate of Completion. 

Once you register, you have up to one year before your course is deactivated.  If you need longer, just give us a call and we will give you an extension for a few more weeks at no charge.

 Is contractor continued education required in Alaska?

Yes – 16 Hours for renewal of a residential contractor endorsement.  (An applicant for renewal of a residential contractor endorsement for the first time shall document 8 hours of acceptable continued education.)  License expire December 31 of even number years.  Renewal of Endorsement will coincide with renewal of the General Contractor registration.

Is the NASCLA Accredited Commercial Contractor license accepted in Alaska? 


Does Alaska require a General contractor (commercial contractor) license?


Reciprocity with other states?

No, there are no agreements at this time

 Information is continually added and updated.  Please check back