NASCLA EXAM PREP
NOTE: Contractors in Utah must complete a 25-hour prelicense program in addition to passing the NASCLA exam.
Reference List allowed for PSI Open Book Exam
- Carpentry and Building Construction, 2010 – available in our Book Store
- International Building Code, 2012 or 2015 Edition – available in our Book Store
- Code of Federal Regulations – 29 CFR Part 1926 (OSHA), with latest available amendments – available in our Book Store
- Or: Code of Federal Regulations – 29 CFR Part 1926 Selections by PSI available at: www.psionlinestore.com
- Construction Jobsite Management, 4th Edition – www.delmarlearning.com
- Construction Project Management, 2014, 4th Edition – Pearson Education, Inc.
- ACI 318-11 or ACI 318-14: Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete and Commentary – www.concrete.org
- BCSI: Guide to Good Practice for Handling, Installing, Restraining, and Bracing of Metal Plate Connected Wood Trusses, 2013 – www.sbcindustry.com
- NASCLA Contractors Guide to Business, Law and Project Management, Basic 12th Edition – www.nascla.org
- Erectors Manual – Standards and Guidelines for the Erection of Pre-Cast Concrete Products, 1999, 2nd Edition – Publisher: Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute – www.pci.org
- Training and Certification of Field Personnel for Unbonded Post-Tensioning – Level 1 Field Fundamentals, 2003, 3rd edition – www.post-tensioning.org
- SDI (Steel Deck Institute) Manual of Construction with Steel Deck, 2006, 2nd Edition – www.sdi.org
- Pipe and Excavation Contracting, 2011 – www.craftsmanbook.com
- Gypsum Construction Handbook, 7th Edition, 2014 – rsmeans.reedconstructiondata.com / Amazon
- Placing Reinforcing Bars, Recommended Practices, 2011, 9th Edition, Concrete Reinforcing Steel Institute – www.crsi.org
- Technical Digest No. 9 – Handling and Erecting of Steel Joists and Joist Girders, 3rd Edition, 2008 – www.steeljoist.org
- Modern Masonry – Brick, Block, Stone 8th Edition – www.g-w.com
- Principles and Practices of Commercial Construction, 2014, 9th Edition – www.pearson.com
- ANSI Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities, 2009 – www.ansi.org / Amazon
- Roofing Construction and Estimating, Daniel Atcheson, 1995 – www.craftsmanbook.com
- The Contractor’s Guide to Quality Concrete Construction, 2005, 3rd Edition – www.acti-int.org / Amazon
- Green Building Fundamentals, Michael Montoya, 2011 – www.pearson.com
For more information, go to the PSI Reference List: https://candidate.psiexams.com/bulletin/display_bulletin.jsp?ro=yes&actionname=83&bulletinid=482&bulletinurl=.pdf
This course is intended as a study guide for preparing to take the NASCLA Commercial Building Contractor Exam, sponsored by the National Association of State Contractors Licensing Agencies, and administered by PSI Exams. The NASCLA-Accredited Examination Program is designed to assist contractors who are licensed in more than one state or jurisdiction. Being NASCLA approved reduces the need for multiple licensing. This course is designed around the PSI Candidate Bulletin and contains relevant course materials and hundreds of practice questions.
Note: This program requires pre-approval before sitting for the exam. An application must be filed with and approved by NASCLA. Once the application is approved, NASCLA will forward the information to PSI who will send a confirmation for exam registration. For more information on testing procedures, click here.
There are currently 15 state agencies that accept NASCLA Accreditation: Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nevada, North Carolina, Oregon, South Carolina Contractors, South Carolina Residential Builders, Tennessee, Utah, Virgin Islands, Virginia, West Virginia.
NASCLA EXAM PREP
1. Planning and Estimating
Types of Estimates
Guidelines for Estimating
2. Financial and Project Management
Planning and Start-Up
Environmental and Energy Issues
4. Site Construction
Restrictions, Easements, and Setback Requirements
Grading, Trenching, and Equipment
Compressive Strength Tests
Reinforcement, Post Tensioning
Sills, Arches, Columns, Pilasters
Marks and Labeling
8. Wood Foundations and Framing
Lumber and Materials
9. Thermal Moisture Protection
Underlap and House Wrap
Window and Door Openings
10. Doors, Windows, and Glazing
Glass and Glazing
Means of Egress
12. Specialty Equipment and Conveyance Systems
Hoistway Enclosures and Venting
Course instructors will be available by email or telephone between 9 am and 5 pm Eastern Standard Time. They will assist you with questions regarding course content.
If you have any questions, please call us at 1-800-727-7104 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Email responses will usually be returned promptly, but guaranteed within one business day.