Successful Site and Building Design
This educational offering is recognized by the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry as satisfying seven (7) hours of credit toward Residential Building Contractor continuing education requirements.
While land developers are seeking to maximize their land use and minimize their development costs, governmental regulations are applying pressures on budgets that can kill a project. Architects are being relied upon to steer site decisions and engineering professionals in order to produce cost-effective and functional designs that meet the myriad of growing municipal requirements. In this 3 hour, fully narrated course you will learn to navigate your entire team through the challenges and pitfalls of site development, all the time with an eye toward building design.
Developers of commercial, industrial and institutional buildings are driven by return on investment. Today’s building owners are savvy and they seek to balance the initial cost with the payback. Functionality, aesthetics, and methods of code compliance are each guided by financial investment and return. In this course, you will learn, from the foundation to the roof, from the appearance to the operation, from construction to maintenance, tried and proven methods for analyzing design decisions that will lead you to a greater reputation as a designer.
Most architects are familiar with the design process and are usually comfortable with at least one or more of the steps. However, what we learn in school needs to be coupled with the requirements of today’s many codes and regulations, the changes in material development, our client’s demand for a return on investment and the realities of construction budgets.
After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the process of securing the appropriate information that will help to develop a scope, schedule, and budget.
- Be able to develop a building program, including site selection, utilization, and wayfinding.
- Outline at least one design strategy based on site standards and utility coordination.
- Summarize the steps that must be taken to in order to move forward with approvals, bidding, and construction.
- Be able to integrate design concepts with current codes and regulations.
- Translate the intentions and goals of the customer into a safe and cost effective project.
- Utilize current materials and goods to ensure proper construction practices.
- Recognize the importance of meeting the client's demand for return on investment.
Lesson One (20 minutes)
1. Pre-Design: Scope, Terms, Responsibilities, Permits
2. Securing Information: Services, Surveys, Contaminants, Authorities, Fees
Lesson Two (15 minutes)
1. Programming: Basics
2. Site Evaluation: Utilities, Site Constraints
Lesson Three (15 minutes)
1. Site Selection: Restrictions, Storm Water, Landscaping, Parking
Lesson Four (15 minutes)
1. Layout: Fire Lanes, Traffic, Space Considerations
Lesson Five (45 minutes)
2. Site Lighting
Lesson Six (15 minutes)
1. Water Service
3. Storm Water Management
4. Franchise Utilities
Lesson Seven (15 minutes)
Lesson Eight (20 minutes)
1. Documentation: Drawings, Lighting, Paving, Utilities, Landscaping, GPS
2. Construction Administration
Chapter 1 (30 minutes)
1. Defining the Building Type
2. Initial Building Program
3. Initial Construction Budget
4. Ideal Building Size
5. Establishing the Construction Classification
6. Code Analysis
Chapter 2 (30 minutes)
1. Site Evaluation
2. Reality Check
3. Building Concept
4. Selecting Consultants
5. Defining the Structural System
6. Selecting the Best Foundation System
Chapter 3 (25 minutes)
1. Creating an Envelope
2. Laying out the Floor Plate
Chapter 4 (25 minutes)
1. Dealership Videos
Chapter 5 (25 minutes)
1. Specialty Functions
2. HVAC Systems
3. Plumbing Systems
5. Selecting Your Materials
Chapter 6 (5 minutes)
1. Specialty Materials
2. Specialty Design Services
Course instructors will be available by email or telephone between 9am and 5pm Eastern Standard Time. They will assist you with questions regarding course content.
If you have any questions, please call us at 1-800-727-7104 or send an email to email@example.com. Email responses will usually be returned promptly, but guaranteed within one business day.
Student policies and procedures are always available by going to www.licensetobuild.com and scrolling to the bottom of the page (See Privacy and Refund Policy).