Drier By Design - Designing to Keep Water Out | Louisiana
3 Hour Audio Course
Learn how water migrates, the typical sources of excess moisture and how to prevent it through planning, design, construction, and control of condensation.
0.3 ICC Building CEUs – Approval #26098
Instructor: Paul Spite
With erosion paths cut into solid rock as solid evidence, water in various forms contains immense power to eat away or destroy whatever is in its path. Whether it takes a year, two hundred or ten thousand, without intervention, water can and will destroy our man-made structures. Once a problem develops that opens a pathway for intrusion, one rainy season can render a building unsuitable for human use.
We have the knowledge and tools to combat such destruction of our structures. We implement counterattacks in the design stage, during construction, and afterwards with proactive maintenance, but the battle against water begins in the design phase.
Moisture resistance principles and methods are discussed in a systematic fashion, as in one building system at a time. Fundamentals are first covered, including basic principles of water behavior and the multiple paths it takes while invading buildings. A thorough knowledge of how destruction begins and escalates drives the known design principles and material decisions used to stop such migration. Practical solutions are then discussed in detail.
The discussion is needed. The physical price tag for both our structures and their occupants is too high to allow water free entry into our occupied spaces.
This course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- A basic understanding of how water moves, migrates, and behaves
- Typical sources of excess moisture in our built environments
- Proactive prevention of unwanted moisture through planning and design
- Methods used during construction to prevent the intrusion of water
- Post-construction prevention of leakage by building envelope inspection
- Common points of failure through which water can gain entrance
- Prevention of water intrusion through control of condensation
- Glossary of Terms Regarding Water Intrusion
- Water Behavior
- Moisture Problems
- Sources of Water
- Water and Building Components
- Moisture from Plumbing Leaks, HVAC Systems, Ventilation Systems, and Condensation
- Tightening the Envelope
- Vapor and Air Retarders
- Combatting Negative Air Pressure
If you have any questions please call us at 1-800-727-7104 | Monday-Friday | 8am-8pm
Or send an email to email@example.com. Email responses will be returned promptly within one business day.