Instructor: Paul Spite
Despite our best efforts to keep it out, water has found its way inside the building. This course examines the question of what to do next, since abandoning the building to its eventual collapse is not usually an option.
The material briefly examines design and construction methods of systems designed to withstand water penetration. An understanding of these systems gives us a starting point in finding sources of intrusion, and a starting point for how to best repair them and prevent further damage. Sealing a failed envelope is the first step in remediation. Otherwise, the appearance of mold will likely be the next step in rendering our damaged buildings uninhabitable.
Once the source of the problem has been addressed, steps can be taken to reclaim full use of the built environment. Assessment of moisture damage must be done next to best determine and prioritize steps toward repair or replacement of damaged components. Immediate and critical remedies are examined, as well as those which can be addressed after a couple days have passed. Lastly, any resulting mold growth must be eliminated, and steps taken to prevent its recurrence.
Because of its power and the many ways water finds to enter our buildings, water intrusion with accompanying mold growth is one of the most discouraging building maintenance issues to address. But we have enough accumulated experience from past battles to handle it far better moving forward.
This course is intended to equip others with that knowledge.
This Course Covers:
- Terminology used to discuss how entrapped water creates problems for building users
- Measures to retard the infiltration of moisture into built environments
- Where and why mold growth occurs
- Testing and inspection to find water damage
- Systems and procedures to inventory moisture damage following intrusion
- Overview of Moisture Related Problems
- The Scope of the Problem
- Before Building Damage Occurs
- Solutions to Water Penetration Issues
- Maintaining Building Systems as Lines of Defense
- Dealing with Building Damage from Moisture
- Air Quality Concerns
- Dealing with Mold in the Airstream
If you have any questions please call us at 1-800-727-7104 | Monday-Friday | 8am-8pm
Or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Email responses will be returned promptly within one business day.