Oregon Builders FAQs

Oregon law requires anyone who works for compensation (except bona fide employees) in any construction activity involving improvements to real property to be licensed with the Oregon Construction Contractors Board (CCB)

You must be licensed to do the following work:

  • Roofing
  • Siding
  • Painting
  • Carpentry
  • Floor covering
  • Concrete
  • Heating and air conditioning
  • Electrical
  • Plumbing
  • Tree service
  • On-site appliance repair
  • Manufactured dwelling installations
  • Land development
  • Home inspections
  • Most other construction and repair services


You do not need a contractor license to do:

  • Gutter cleaning
  • Power/Pressure washing (siding, sidewalks, roofs, etc.)
  • Debris clean up (yard or construction site) (Note: If the work changes to include repairs, replacements or installs, a CCB license is required)

       Exemption from Licensure:(ORS 701.010[4])  A person working on one structure if:

  • The price of all the person’s work is under $1,000, and
  • The work is casual, minor or inconsequential in nature.
  • This exemption does not apply to a person who advertises in any way, including Craigslist, or any card, sign or device.

To become a licensed contractor in Oregon you must:

  1. Complete the prerequisite training (must apply within 24 months of completing training)
    and pass CCB’s statewide test
  2. File your assumed business name, corporation or LLC at the Oregon Corporation Division
  3. Obtain and submit a CCB surety bond in the required amount(s).
  4. Obtain and provide proof of general liability insurance in the required amount.
  5. Provide evidence of worker’s compensation and other employer account numbers if applicable.
  6. Apply for and get the State BIN (Business Identification Number) number from the
    Oregon Dept. of Revenue and write it on the application.
  7. Apply for and get the Federal EIN from the IRS.  Do not substitute a Social Security Number
    for the EIN number.
  8. Submit a completed CCB application with the $325 fee for two years.

Application can be obtained from:

Oregon Construction Contractors Board
P.O. Box 14140
Salem, OR  97309

Phone:  (503) 378-4621

There are three License Endorsements:  Residential, Commercial, and both Residential & Commercial.  Once you’ve selected an endorsement, you will need to select a classification (list with descriptions on application).

The forms and further information on licensing can be found on their website by clicking here.

The link will also have information pertaining to updating your license information and Lead Paint renovation applications.

Residential builders may work on Small Commercial projects.   Small Commercial is defined as:

  • Interior dimensions of the structure is 10,000 square feet or less and 10 feet in height or less, or
  • The total project amount is $250,000 or less

A Commercial Endorsement will be needed if your project is larger than the Small Commercial criteria:

  • Commercial Endorsement with no employees:
    – Obtain a commercial bond
    – Obtain Personal Election Workers Comp Policy
  • Commercial Endorsement with employees:
    – Obtain a commercial bond
    – Fee $20
    – Workers Comp Policy will already be in effect (with employees)

Detailed questions may be directed to the CCB at 503-378-4621.

Yes.  All license applicants must have one Responsible Managing Individual (RMI) who is responsible for either completing the minimum of 16-hours of training from CCB approved training providers and passing the Oregon state CCB test or for proving he/she is not required to take the training and test by documentation of having the qualifying experience.  Once the RMI has completed the training, the training provider will send training completion information to the PSI, the testing agency.  The RMI must also pass an exam given by PSI Exams.  Cost to take the exam is $60.  Direct any questions about the exam to PSI Exams at: 1-800-733-9267 or  https://candidate.psiexams.com.

  • This is a 16-hour course, however, we highly recommend that you not put a time limit on how long it takes.  Continue to review the material until you feel confident that you know it thoroughly.  Become familiar with the Oregon Contractors Reference Manual as well.
  • Once you register, you have up to 6 months before your course is deactivated.  If you need longer, just give us a call and we can arrange an extension.
  •  PSI exams will be administering and registering students for the exam. To contact or register with PSI:
PSI Exams
3210 East Tropicana
Las Vegas, NV 89121
Phone:  1-800-733-9267
Website:  https://candidate.psiexams.com/index.jsp

Upon registering for your Exam Prep course, please make sure your information is correct and up to date. Once you complete your 16-hour Exam Prep course, we submit your completion to the CCB. The CCB will need your email address in order for registrants to receive information regarding the exam. For more information, please click here.

Yes – Commercial contractors are required to complete 16 hours of continuing education prior to renewal for each two-year licensing cycle.  This law became effective October 1, 2011.

Five hours must be in mandatory subject areas

    • 2 hours of Building Code
    • 3 hours of CCB’s Laws, Regulations, and Business Practices (Only offered by the State of Oregon)

Eleven hours Discretionary Electives of your choice

Choose from our list video and fully narrated courses at

Yes – Commercial General Level 1 or Level 2 – Renew every 2 years


When you pass the NASCLA Accredited Examination for Commercial General Building Contractors, you will be listed in the NASCLA National Examination Database. You will then have this information available for the following states which accept the NASCLA Accredited Examination: AL, AR, GA, LA, MS, NV, NC, OR, SC, TN, UT, US Virgin Islands, VA, and WV. You may also need to take each states’ specific business/law/project management exam in addition to the NASCLA exam.

Violations for working while not licensed or working in the wrong classification can result in civil penalties of up to $5,000 per offense.

No, not at this time. All out-of-state contractors must complete the training and pass the Oregon test.

  • Information Last Updated: 02/2020
  • Did you find incorrect information? Email Us
This was a great course. The instructor was very knowledgeable. *****
Anthony D.
Live Chat