We Are Open & Here To Help!
Call Us 800-727-7104
Monday-Friday 8am-8pm EST

Frequently Asked Questions

Get Licensed

How do I get my contractor license in New Mexico?

  1. Complete Contractor License application
  2. Copy of exam score report showing passing scores for Business & Law and Trades exams
  3. Proof of financial responsibility: Bond
  4. Proof of current New Mexico Tax ID number
  5. If a Corporation or LLC: Proof of PRC registration
  6. If a Partnership: Proof of registration with the New Mexico Secretary of State
  7. Self-addressed stamped envelope to return your application materials if your application is rejected or to send your new license if your application has been accepted.

Are there exam requirements to get my New Mexico Contractors License?

Yes. The New Mexico Business & Law exam is required as well as a Trade exam.

What are the exam fees?

  • NM Business and Law: $68.88
  • NM GB-2 Residential Building: $134.53
  • NM GB-98 General Building: $134.53

Is the NASCLA Accredited Commercial Contractor license accepted in New Mexico?

No. Check with the New Mexico Bureau of Construction Industries & Manufactured Housing to see current reciprocity rules.

Renew a License

When does my New Mexico contractor license expire?

Renewal is every 3 years on the 15th of the month in which it was issued.

Is contractor continued education required in New Mexico?

No, continuing education is not required at this time.

About the Courses

Once I order the course, how long before I can start?

You may begin immediately! Simply click the Login button in the upper right-hand corner on your desktop or in the upper-right menu on mobile. Once you’ve entered your login and password, you will be taken to your courses. Follow the instructions and enjoy!

Once I start an online course, will I be able to start and stop at anytime?

Our courses are available online 24/7 and you are able to log in and log out at any time during the course. If you are going to be away from your computer for more than 10-15 minutes, simply log out. When you log back in, you will be able to re-enter the lesson you were last in.

How long do your continuing education courses take to complete?

Continuing education requirements vary by state. Each course lists a minimum number of credit hours required to complete the course.

How long do your exam prep courses take to complete?

Each course lists the total amount of hours for the course. However, we cover materials quickly and many contractors like to re-watch materials. In other words, this question really depends on your learning style. We recommend that you go through the course as many times as you need to be comfortable with the material and any applicable reference books. The more familiar you are with the materials, the better you will do on your exam!

How long do I have the courses?

We allow up to 6 months for you to complete the courses. During the six months you have unlimited, 24/7 access. If you need additional time, please contact our offices to arrange an extension (please note: a fee may apply).

Are there tests in the courses?

This varies depending on whether the course is continuing education or exam prep.

There are no quizzes for continuing education courses in Michigan. All other states with continuing education require quizzes to check completion progress.

In exam prep courses there will be a short quiz at the end of each lesson and there is also a longer practice test at the end of each course. These quizzes and tests will help you practice taking an exam and identify areas you may wish to study more.

If I fail a practice test, do I have to take it again?

Practice tests are just that: for practice. You will have the opportunity to retake the practice tests until you do pass. The practice tests are there to help you get used to the process of using your reference materials and finding the correct answers during an exam. If you don’t pass on the first try, take the time to note what sections of the material you need to review.

Once I complete a course, can I still go back and review the lessons and quizzes?

You are able to review the lessons and quizzes at any time during the six months you’ll have access to the courses.

State & Testing Contact Info

State Board

Construction Industries Division – Regulation and Licensing Department
25550 Cerillos Road
Santa Fe, NM 87505
(505) 476-4500

PSI Exams

PSI Services
3210 East Tropicana
Las Vegas, NV 89121