New Hampshire Contractor FAQs

No, not for General Contractor (check for local county/city regulations). However, you do have to pass an exam and have experience to get licensed for Asbestos Abatement, Electrician, and Plumbing.

No, not at this time for General Contractors.


No (but check county/city regulations). However, to bid on New Hampshire Department of Transportation projects, you have to be pre-qualified by the Department of Transportation. Applications can be obtained from:

Department of Transportation
John O. Morton Building
4 Hazen Drive
P.O. Box 483
Concord, NH  03302-0483
Phone:  (603) 271-3734
Fax:  (603) 271-3914

Out-of-state corporations must be licensed by the Secretary of State:

Secretary of State
State House, Room 204
107 North Main St.
Concord, NH  03301-4989
Phone:  (603) 271-3246
Fax:  (603) 271-3247

General construction contractors do not require a license by the State of New Hampshire. Only Asbestos Abatement, Electrical and Plumbing Contractors need to be licensed. Also check with local government for county and city regulations.

To get more information, call the Bureau of Building Safety & Construction: (603) 223-4289

Information is continually added and updated. Please check back

I have now passed both sections and have received my license! I wanted to thank you all for all you have done for me through this process, I can’t tell you how much I appreciate the way you guys handl…

Michael John Loughray - Ann Arbor, MI
Chat with us