Applications and information for contractor registration may be obtained from:

Montana Department of Labor & Industry
Construction Contractor Registration Unit
P.O. Box 8011
Helena, MT  59607
Phone:  (406) 444-7734
Fax:  (406) 444-3465

Must also include the $53 fee and proof of Worker’s Compensation coverage with the application for registration.

Also contact your county or local municipality for regulations

No, not at the state level at this time. Also check your local county/city regulations.

No, not on the state level. The Construction Contractor Registration is good for 2 years.


Montana requires contractors with employees to register. Also check with county and local municipality for regulations

Montana’s workers’ compensation law does not allow coverage from other states’ workers compensation plans in the construction industry. When you come to work in Montana, you must have a workers’ compensation policy specific to Montana. Construction companies with “Bid Only” certificates must upgrade their registration to “Employer” status before they can have employees working in Montana.

Information is continually added and updated. Please check back

I enjoyed the (MI 60-Hour) class discussions with the instructor and my classmates who work in other fields of the industry.
Chuck Mc Connaughey - Michigan
Chat with us