Builders and Re-modelers License Exam Prep Course | Minnesota

Online HD Video Course | Instructor:  Scott Corbat
This online course covers both parts of the State licensing exam: Business/Law and Technical (Building Trades). The course combines Instructor Lead HD Videos with integrated slides and practice quizzes to ensure you pass the entire exam. The Minnesota Residential Code, 2015 edition is required for this course. 

course details
Add to Cart

Roofers License Exam Prep Course | Minnesota

Online HD Video Course | Instructor:  Scott Corbat
Roofers are required to pass the Business/Law and the Roofers exam.  This online course covers both parts and includes everything you need to know.  You will pass the test on your first try.

course details
Add to Cart

Course & Book Package (Free Priority Shipping in the United States)

Builders and Remodelers License Exam Course & Book Package | Minnesota

This package contains:

  • Minnesota Residential Builders and Remodelers License Online Exam Prep Course
  • Minnesota Residential Code, 2015 Edition
  • Pre-printed tabs
  • Includes Free Video Instructions on How to Market Your Construction Company on Social Media!

course details
Add to Cart

Current Code Book (Free Priority Shipping in the United States)

Minnesota State Residential Code, 2015 Edition

This book by the International Code Council, Inc. (ICC) is required for the Minnesota Builders and Remodelers exam prep course.  While taking the exam, you will be provided a copy of the code book to use as a reference.


$100.00Add to cart

Add Approved Preprinted Tabs

$7.00Add to cart

Minnesota Builders Frequently Asked Questions

The Department of Labor and Industry licenses residential building contractors, remodelers, roofers and manufactured home installers. The department requires certain standards of education and professional conduct be maintained to obtain and retain a license.

Licenses are required for all residential building contractors and residential remodelers who contract with a homeowner to construct or improve dwellings by offering more than one special skill. Owners working on their own property must also be licensed if they build or remodel for the sole purpose of speculation or resale.

All residential building contractors and residential remodelers who contract with an owner to construct or improve dwellings for habitation by one to four families (including detached garages) and perform two or more special skills must be licensed unless exempt under one of the provisions noted below. Roofing requires a separate license.

The licensing requirement also applies to any person acting as a “spec” homebuilder. The only difference between a residential building contractor and residential remodeler is a residential building contractor can build new homes and work on existing structures, whereas a remodeler can only work on existing structures.

Successfully pass the Trade and Business/Law sections of the licensing exam that is administered by the Minnesota DLI.  There are no prerequisite experience or educational requirements to take the residential building contractor or remodeler exam. You can apply online or submit an application to CCLD (PDF) along with the required exam application fee. The exam is offered at DLI’s offices in St. Paul as well as sites in Duluth, St. Cloud, Detroit Lakes, Granite Falls, and Owatonna.

After passing the exam you must apply to the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry for a license.

About the State Exam:

The exam consists of 110 multiple choice questions; 60 questions on construction and 50 questions on business/law. You must get at least 77 answers correct. Applicants are given four hours in which to complete the exam, which is divided into two sections; the first deals primarily with construction-related matters and the second covers issues relating to running a construction business. A copy of the State Building Code will be provided for reference during the exam.

More Info: Minnesota Prelicense Exam Details

You must obtain liability insurance coverage meeting the minimum statutory requirements. Also, all applicants must provide evidence of compliance with Minnesota’s workers’ compensation insurance requirement. You may provide a certificate of insurance showing your business is covered by workers’ compensation insurance.

There are associated fees when first applying for and renewing your license. For more information, please click here for the licensing fee table.


14 hours of continuing education, including 1 hour of energy must be completed every 2 years.

Minnesota Residential Building Contractors
443 Layfayette Rd. North
St. Paul, MN 55155



This is an 8 to 12-hour course (depending on your knowledge and time you spend looking things up in the codebook), however, we highly recommend that you do not put a time limit on how long it takes.  Continue to review the material until you feel confident that you know it thoroughly.  Become familiar with the Minnesota Code Book as well.

You will be given the results (pass/fail) approximately two weeks after you have taken the State Exam.

NOTE:  If you receive a failure notice, you must wait 30 days to reschedule. This thirty-day timeline begins from the date you received notification. 

Chat with us