Overview of Building Trades 9-Hour Course in HD-Video
Approved for 9 credit hours toward prelicensure and continuing competency.
Recommended Books for this course:
Carpentry and Building Construction Text Book
This nine hour course provides an overview of building trade skills. The information provided in this course would be advantageous for anyone seeking to start a residential building project or enter into the building industry.
Chapter 1- Excavations
- Define dewatering and the various laws and regulations surrounding dewatering activities.
- Describe the purpose and steps involved in contacting MISS DIG before beginning a construction project.
- Describe the methods by which soil and rock deposits are classified and analyzed.
- Explain the various tests which determine absorption, density and moisture of soil.
- Describe what kind of restrictions may be involved in regards to easements, floodways, and wetlands.
- Explain why it is important to identify and protect survey monuments.
- Describe the basic methods and tools required for site preparation.
Chapter 2- Footing and Foundation Walls
- Identify and understand the components and methods to footing and foundation construction.
Chapter 3- Concrete
- Describe and define 5 types of problems that typically occur with concrete.
- Explain the difference between chemical and mineral add mixtures, and describe the several different types used.
- Discuss how to construct proper concrete joints.
Chapter 4- Carpentry
- Identify the basic components of framing: bracing, joists, walls, floors, fastening schedules and fire blocking.
Chapter 5- Masonry
- Describe brick and concrete uses, requirements and methods.
Chapter 6- Roofing
- Understand the anatomy of a roof, the shingles, flashing, and types.
Chapter 7- Insulation
- Describe the basic forms of residential home insulation.
- Understand R-values and energy efficiency requirements.
Chapter 8- Ventilation
- Be able to calculate required ventilation ratios.
- Identify crawl space/foundation requirements.
Chapter 9- Windows, Doors and Skylights
- Identify egress/escape requirements.
- Identify types, materials, and installation.
Chapter 10- Siding
- Recognize the advantages of different types of siding.
- Understand the basics of siding installation.
Chapter 11- Interior and Exterior Finishing
- Recognize stair, trim and tile basics.
Chapter 12- Specialties
- Understand the basics surrounding associated trades: plumbing, electricity and demolition.
Chapter 13- Construction Math
- Basic construction math principles, formulas, conversions and practice exercises.