Business of Building HD-Video Course Online
|Business of Building 9-Hour Course in HD-Video
Approved for 9 credit hours toward prelicensure or continuing competency.
Business of Building HD-Video Course Description
This nine hour course will provide new builders with an understanding of the Code of Conduct and their responsibilities to their employees, to their customers and to the government. It includes knowledge needed in order for them to successfully maneuver through new business startup stages.
Chapter 1- Introduction
- Identify the hierarchy of Michigan legislative offices as they pertain to the building/construction industry.
Chapter 2- Occupational Code
- Define the powers and duties of certain departments, boards and agencies in the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA).
Chapter 3- Articles 4-6, Rules and Regulations
- Describe the rules, penalties and fines as they pertain to the regulations surrounding the building and construction industry.
Chapter 4- Article 24
- Understand the licensing procedures and requirements for contractors.
- Describe continuing education requirements.
- Explain how complaints/hearings are handled by the State.
Chapter 5- Administrative Rules
- Describe fees, licensing, complaints and disciplinary actions as they pertain to licensed builders.
Chapter 6- Construction Lien Act
- Explain how lien laws protect the rights and interests of both the builder and the consumer.
Chapter 7- Establishing a Business Entity
- Describe the five basic forms of business organization.
- Understand both the benefits and drawbacks associated with each type of business organization.
Chapter 8- Business Finance
- Describe several forms of financing you may need in order to secure your project.
Chapter 9- Accounting and Bookkeeping
- Understand and describe the basic principles of financial management.
- Apply those principles to your own business organization.
Chapter 10- Employees, Payroll and Taxes
- Identify the basic payroll and tax responsibilities of an employer.
Chapter 11- Labor Law
- Describe the important aspects of Labor Law, including the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), which establishes standards for minimum wages, overtime pay, recordkeeping, and child labor.
Chapter 12- Bidding and Estimating
- Understand the importance of accurate estimating and bidding.
- Describe the steps in developing a project budget.