Connecticut Contractor FAQ

Any person or business who builds a new home needs a valid Certificate of Registration. Home Improvement Contractors must also be registered. If you do both kinds of work, you need two registrations. Construction projects that exceed certain limits must register as a “Major Contractor”. Building officials are prohibited from issuing building or construction permits to builders unless they receive a copy of the builder’s valid Certificate of Registration.

Certain types of work involved in new home construction and home improvement requires additional training, education and licensing. Refer to the state website for a list of these trades and the level of expertise and credentialing that is required in Connecticut.

Violators may be subject to revocation or suspension of their registration to work, civil fines of up to $1,500 per violation, and arrest and criminal prosecution.

Send a completed application to the Commissioner along with:  Proof of Liability Insurance, Workers Compensation Insurance, agent for service of process if required, and fee of $240 to:

Department of Consumer Protection
165 Capital Ave.
Hartford, CT  06106
(860) 713-6135

Each person who receives a Certificate shall also pay a fee of $480 biennially into the New Home Construction Guaranty Fund.

No, not at this time to obtain your certification. However, occupational trades (such as electrical, plumbing, heating & cooling, home inspection, etc) require licensing and passing the Business and Law exam and the trades exam through PSI. Detailed information on obtaining a license and the examination for each trade can be found on the Connecticut State website.

All certificates expire biennially. No Continued education is required at this time to renew your Certificate of Registration.


Must be certified to perform Home Improvement and New Home Construction. Specific trades must be licensed.

No – Out of state contractors must file an Application of Registration with the Secretary of State, register with the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services for a tax ID number, satisfy bonding requirements, Register with the Connecticut Department of Labor, obtain appropriate trade or occupational license, and obtain workers compensation insurance.

  • Information Last Updated: 04/2020
  • Did you find incorrect information? Email Us
This was a great course. The instructor was very knowledgeable. *****
Anthony D.
Live Chat